dcshorthairs

Utah - Nine Mile Unit

Drew a tag this year for general deer. Anyone ever hunted this area? Wondering about the deer numbers and success rates. Heading up next weekend for some scouting....

I’ve hunted Nine Mile both general and archery.    Plenty of deer, but can get a bit crowded close to the roads.   That being said, it’s pretty easy to hike and get some solitude.    Fair amount or private land up high.  Overall,  I enjoy it the there. 

PM me if you want a few more details.   

S.

1 hour ago, stanley said:

I’ve hunted Nine Mile both general and archery.    Plenty of deer, but can get a bit crowded close to the roads.   That being said, it’s pretty easy to hike and get some solitude.    Fair amount or private land up high.  Overall,  I enjoy it the there. 

PM me if you want a few more details.   

S.

When you say plenty of deer, can you compare it to an Arizona unit for numbers?   Is it like 90% of our mule deer units, 3c which has above average or kiabab that has a crap load of deer.    Thanks 

I would compare it more to an above average AZ unit.  Not Kiabab level, IMO.... ;)

Basically, like most of Utah, the terrain is a lot different than the typical AZ unit.  Different than the Kiabab, as well.  It's basically lots and lots of sage brush covered canyons, interspersed and pocketed with Fir & Aspen.  There are big stands of Fir/Aspen covering the top of the mountain(s), as well as most of the north facing slopes (Again, like most of Utah....).  Mule deer heaven! LOL