Sign in to follow this  
Western Hunter

Barrel Length 101

Evaluate and question everything In our recent history, only military and police snipers used short-barreled rifles to aid in concealment of the shooter. Hunters didn’t seem too concerned about concealing their position when rifle hunting (mostly because deer not typically returning fire). We gravitated to long barrels to increase muzzle velocity, in part due to […]

The post Barrel Length 101 appeared first on Western Hunter.

View the full article

I totally agree with this, my next build will be a creedmoor with a 20” barrel. Hoping to have it done by next Hunting season. Good to see this article. 

I call BS on some of the findings.

I went from a 28" to 22" in my 6.5SLR.  Both 1:8".

28" 140 HVLD, 43.0 H4350, 2940fps

22" 130 OTM, 43.4 H4350, 2888fps

The numbers don't lie.  

10gr less bullet weight, .4gr more powder, and still lost 50fps with a 6" shorter barrel.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

I call BS on some of the findings.

I went from a 28" to 22" in my 6.5SLR.  Both 1:8".

28" 140 HVLD, 43.0 H4350, 2940fps

22" 130 OTM, 43.4 H4350, 2888fps

The numbers don't lie.  

10gr less bullet weight, .4gr more powder, and still lost 50fps with a 6" shorter barrel.

I wonder if you used a different powder if the difference would follow? Interesting read though. 

• Like 1

I can't see what possible axe the author would have to grind.  It is hard to make comparisons if you change barrels and/or bullet/powder combinations.  I'm not saying his conclusions are 100% accurate...I personally favor a longer barrel on a long range rig...it did make for an interesting read.  I do think in many instances a longer barrel is of limited value.

• Like 1

I have always been a fan of the shortest barrels feasible for a number of reasons, and have hunted exclusively with barrels ranging from 11.5-18" my whole life. That being said, I am not a long range hunter and the longest shot I've ever taken on game was approximately 440 yards. Still, selecting the right load and learning the ins and outs of your firearm is paramount, even with the prevalence of accurate angle-correcting rangefinders, wind meters, chronographs and ballistic calculators we have access to now.