Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

questionable AZ history

I would like to know more about that train robbery in Adamana.  I’m out there often and sometimes check out the old siding and buildings.  You can still see where an old water tower sat.  It’s cool to think about what it must have been in the old days.

Do any of you remember Bob Varner?  I was real young and still remember when two men killed him in Winslow and were on the run for about two days.  They did a home invasion near Geronimo Rd and barricaded themselves in a house near Hibbard Road and one died.  I think he was the only Navajo County Sheriff deputy killed in the line of duty.

1 minute ago, Saguaro said:

I would like to know more about that train robbery in Adamana.  I’m out there often and sometimes check out the old siding and buildings.  You can still see where an old water tower sat.  It’s cool to think about what it must have been in the old days.

Do any of you remember Bob Varner?  I was real young and still remember when two men killed him in Winslow and were on the run for about two days.  They did a home invasion near Geronimo Rd and barricaded themselves in a house near Hibbard Road and one died.  I think he was the only Navajo County Sheriff deputy killed in the line of duty.

Went to school with his kids. He was actually DPS.

8 hours ago, WalkingBird said:

I read Apache Wars a couple years before we moved out here while fishing near James Bay in Ontario, not knowing I'd be coming here later on in life. I forgot about the book until we were unpacking and spotted it. I've re-read it since and it's been really cool to read again with a better understanding of the places mentioned in the book and learning how rugged the terrain really is

rugged terrain?  Arizona?  a single merchant family in round valley by force of will(and perhaps some 'other influences) got hiway 60 pushed through the salt river canyon.  and don't forget to google the great grand canyon deer drive!

lee

5 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

Do any of you remember Bob Varner?

i knew of his murder but not officer Varner.  his widow was the person who checked me into the winslow hospital ER when i ran a staub through my leg bear hunting.

lee

On 10/16/2019 at 2:09 AM, biglakejake said:

what was the message the old navajo asked aldrin and armstrong to give the ancient spirits when they landed on the moon? (probably made up by johnny carson...)

"don't trust these white men-they are coming to steal your land".  the other version i have heard is "don't sign any treaty's with these guys".

Al Sieber was the most famous of the chiefs' of Apache scouts.  a couple sidenotes:

who were the two chief of Apache scouts before Sieber?

after Sieber was fired from the scouts he died working with Apaches.  how did he die?  if you have stopped and read the monument beside the road-should that count?

lee

a boulder got sieber.  intentional or not still debated but apaches built the memorial on az87 just north of roosevelt dam.

never mind the otherquestion-my timeline is off.  tom horn and corydon cooley were the names i was looking for but they were concurrent chief of scouts with sieber.  cooley started in 1871 but was not called a chief of scouts until much later.  working on listening to the Arizona oral history page on cooley.

lee

ps a great bibliography i just stumbled on is below:

http://www.zybtarizona.com/biblio2.htm

On 10/18/2019 at 7:28 PM, Saguaro said:

On 10/18/2019 at 7:35 PM, biglakejake said:

i knew of his murder but not officer Varner.  his widow was the person who checked me into the winslow hospital ER when i ran a staub through my leg bear hunting.

lee

Navajo County Sheriff's Office sends our condolences to the Bob and Cathy Varner Family of Winslow. Cathy died on October 30, 2019 and was laid to rest today in Winslow. Members of the Navajo County Sheriff's Office attended the funeral today to show appreciation for everything Cathy has done for NCSO. Cathy is the widow of fallen NCSO Deputy Bob Varner who was killed in the line of duty on January 2, 1989. Cathy was a strong advocate for line of duty death survivor families throughout Arizona. Cathy never missed the AZ Law Enforcement memorial in Phoenix every May to support her fallen husband Bob and other fallen heroes in AZ. Thank you Cathy for all you did to support Law Enforcement families throughout Navajo County and AZ.

• Like 1