Sign in to follow this  
Cosper88

6A North Side

Heading out in a few days. I have been scouting for a few trips and just cant get on any sign. Any recommendations? Trying to get my kid his first javelina and really want him to fill his tag so he is hooked. Any tips or hints would be greatly appreciated 

I have never seen pigs on my few forays into 6A but if I were to look it would probably be off the 260 closer to Camp Verde.

Javelina

Overview: Unit 6A supports a healthy population of javelina. Javelina hunting is a lot of fun. It is a nice time of year to be out in the woods, in an area that is otherwise quite warm. Javelina can be difficult to find, but once located they are fairly easy to get close to. They like to be out feeding in good weather, and usually are not out feeding in rain, high winds, or snow. They bed under trees, like most animals, but also seek out caves and rocky outcrops as shelter. Normally, if you see one javelina, there are many more around. Javelina respond fairly well to varmint calls, as the entire herd will protect the young of the herd, even when they are not the parents. Normally, the call will spook them. Try calling after the herd has scattered. Javelina are not as vicious as they are rumored to be, but if cornered they can inflict serious bites on you or a pet.

Areas: They are generally found in the lower half of the Unit. Cedar Flats boasts a healthy population of Javelina. 6A North now provides an archery only, over-the-counter hunt in the fall, designed to target nuisance javelina near rural communities.  Hunting within ¼ mile from structures is prohibited without permission from the homeowner. The boundary of GMU 6A North is: that portion of GMU 6A north of Stoneman Lake Road and East of Interstate 17.

4 hours ago, wish2hunt said:

It hasnt snowed enough to push them to lower country yet

Snow never lasts and they don't leave their home range because of it. I've seen the same herds just outside of Prescott and Williams for years.