A Long weekend in 23 and no birds. Saw a few hens feeding but no gobblers. We did hear two different gobblers respond to my call on Saturday morning - they just gobbled once and then would not make another sound. Seamed awful slow maybe it was the wind or that is was very warm or I forgot how to call a turkey :(

azyoung

a guy i know that lives in greer caught a nice brown the other day. 6 or 7 pounds i think. i'll bring some rapalas for sure. Lark.

Anybody killing this weekend? Headed up next weekend to 6A and I all ready can't sleep. Andy

I have a tag for Unit 1 and spent mornings and afternoons on Friday and Saturday in five or six of my favorite places around my cabin. The birds were there because I heard them coming off their roosts both mornings, but they would not respond to my calls.

Saturday evening we had two hens feeding within 75 yars of the blind until they went to their roost and, even with "live decoys" chirping, we never heard a gobble. The only bearded birds we saw were running across roads, and they were alone without hens.

In my opinion, the gobblers weren't "hot" yet where I hunted in Unit 1.

Will try again Thursday. My season runs April 25-May 1 and picks up again May 9-22, so I'm in no hurry to tag out.

Incidentally, I found a beautiful set of brown 6x6 elk sheds Friday morning ... both sides dropped at the same time between two aspen trees. It was a good bull, with long tines and lots of mass, but the main beams were only about 40-44 inches.

Bill Quimby

Bill, I don't claim to be any expert on turkeys but IMO them gobblers will get hotter as less hens are available and laying on their nest. The gobblers will have fewer birds to find and will be talking and competing more. I talked to a WM in my area and he said this next two weeks will be better than this past week. That's the situation in 22 right now and hopefully your area will be the same. Better hunting coming for ya Bill. Good luck when your season comes back in. Let us know how you do. :)

TJ

Bill let's see those sheds, come on DON"T TEASE Andy

It will be a while before I can post photos of them.

I'm in Tucson for the 30-day adjustment on my new pacemaker, but when I return to the cabin this weekend I'll try to find someone up there with a digital camera (I don't have one) to photograph the sheds.

Thanks for your good wishes for my hunt, folks. I've taken a lot of turkeys and really don't care if I shoot another one this year. I'm happy that I'm still able to go out.

Bill

Anybody killing this weekend? Headed up next weekend to 6A and I all ready can't sleep. Andy

I have a tag for Unit 1 and spent mornings and afternoons on Friday and Saturday in five or six of my favorite places around my cabin. The birds were there because I heard them coming off their roosts both mornings, but they would not respond to my calls.

Saturday evening we had two hens feeding within 75 yars of the blind until they went to their roost and, even with "live decoys" chirping, we never heard a gobble. The only bearded birds we saw were running across roads, and they were alone without hens.

In my opinion, the gobblers weren't "hot" yet where I hunted in Unit 1.

Will try again Thursday. My season runs April 25-May 1 and picks up again May 9-22, so I'm in no hurry to tag out.

Incidentally, I found a beautiful set of brown 6x6 elk sheds Friday morning ... both sides dropped at the same time between two aspen trees. It was a good bull, with long tines and lots of mass, but the main beams were only about 40-44 inches.

Bill Quimby

Bill, I don't claim to be any expert on turkeys but IMO them gobblers will get hotter as less hens are available and laying on their nest. The gobblers will have fewer birds to find and will be talking and competing more. I talked to a WM in my area and he said this next two weeks will be better than this past week. That's the situation in 22 right now and hopefully your area will be the same. Better hunting coming for ya Bill. Good luck when your season comes back in. Let us know how you do. :)

TJ

Same in 5a. But when those hens go to nest it should be on like donkey kong.