Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Road Closures for Coconino National Forest

Forest Service Roads Closing On The Coconino National Forest Ahead Of Winter Storm

Roads are beginning to close ahead of a major winter storm that will affect Northern Arizona this week. The Coconino National Forest will close all forest service roads adjacent to highways 180 and 89 today north to Forest Road 552, keeping Christmas Tree cutting open. All forest service roads on the Mogollon Rim Ranger District will also close, except for the Pinyon Christmas Tree cutting area. ADOT says they are closing State Route 67 to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon early for the season ahead of the storm. ADOT closes the 43-mile stretch of highway each winter between Highway 89A and Jacob Lake and the North Rim.

6 minutes ago, bonecollector said:

Also Apache Sitgreaves is closing roads

Snow Predicted on the Black Mesa Ranger District

Springerville, AZ – November 25, 2019 - Snow is predicted to arrive on the Mogollon Rim the week of November 25, to December 1, 2019 which may leave many forest roads impassable and prompting a temporary winter closure of the Rim Lakes Recreation Area on the Black Mesa Ranger District. 

Roads affected by this closure include Forest Road (FR) 300/Rim Road at State Highway 260 west to the Coconino NF/Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests boundary, FR 34 south of Dutch Joe, FR 34/70A junction, FR 120 north of Dutch Joe, FR 169 north of FR100/119 road, FR 225/34 junction, FR 70/63 junction, FR 181, FR 149 to Willow Springs Lake, and FR 171 including the Mogollon Rim Visitor Center parking lot.

To provide for public safety the Rim Top Trailhead at the junction of Forest Road 300 and State Highway 260 will be closed. There is no parking permitted along State Highway 260. Parking along the highway is dangerous and violators will be ticketed.  Parking along the FR (512) Young Road is also discouraged due to public safety concerns.

The area south of Highway 260 will be open for travel but not for Christmas tree cutting.  County Road 504, cutting area 1b, and County Road 916, cutting area 1c, located on the map included with your Christmas tree permit, will remain open for travel and Christmas tree cutting.

• Like 1

I called the Coconino NF office.  As of right now, the closures are in the Flagstaff district north of I-40, and the Mogollon district.  No closures are currently in effect south of I-40 in the Flagstaff district.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/coconino/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5441646&width=full

I’m in 6A archery hunting now and was up top last weekend and moved down.  Heard this morning about closures up top and want to go see for myself.  Units affected are 6A,5A and 5B.   A number of trailers dropped off last weekend are getting lock in.