Sign in to follow this  
Couzer

Let’s talk 44 mag loads

Anyone have a good starting point on a 44 mag? I have a friend I’m gonna load some “target/huntin” rounds. He wants to buy all the supplies from Sportmans Warehouse, that being said is there a bullet, powder that is pretty much easily available to purchase that you could recommend? If you have load data that would be great. I have a few manuals I’ll compare to to make sure I’m loading a safe round.

Theses loads will be used in a cowboy action pistol and a 94 Winchester. 

Thanks in advance! 

I would get a Hornady reloading manual and pick out a load from there. If you using a cowboy action pistol maybe consider a .44 special load.

• Like 2

I use winchester 296 in my heavy 44 mag loads. Winchester 231 or unique in my lighter loads. If you are hunting with it I like hornady XTP bullets. If just target, you can use lead or cheaper jacketed bullets. 

• Like 1

Vihtavuori N320 is a good powder for lighter loads. I shoot 180 gr Sierra's with 11gr. of N320. Its not violent and lot more fun to shoot. 

Thanks for the info, as soon as we settle on something ill give some updates. Definitely look at the manual, looking for a powder that is abundant.