Sign in to follow this  
Green Bullet

What’s this from???

I went to the range today and had a hard time loading a handful of rounds.    The bolt would get jammed and not close all the way.   These brass have 5 rounds on them.    I shoot 168 VLDs with 60gr of RL22.  

could the brass be expanding after 5 rounds and time to toss em?   I checked the CBTO measurements and it’s dead on with respect to what my recipe calls for.  

831A23E7-DAA1-4106-96D3-A2C20BF221B9.jpeg

Neck only.   I should mention after the 4th firing I annealed the brass.   Also the brass that shot /loaded well (same batch) mostly did not exhibit this ring. Some did though to be clear.   

I would guess brass is swelling and is in need of a  full length sizing. I used to neck size and would have to FL size every 4th loading. A handful of rounds start to get to tight to chamber. (Not good in a hunting situation)Kind of a pain to "start over" with the brass so I just went to the .002" shoulder bump, full length size every time and have had very good results. No more neck sizing for me. 

I FL size EVERY time.  There is no benefit to neck sizing if you FL size correctly.  

Bump the shoulders back .002"-.003" on every case, problem should be solved.  

On some belted magnums, since you didn't state what cartridge you are running, you might need to use a collet die to reduce case diameter just above the belt.  But not a very common need.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Green Bullet said:

Sorry I’m shooting a 7 mag

sorry for the stupid question but when you say bump the shoulders back what are you referring to?

Nevermind I looked it up.   

So, if you have (will definitely need) a 420 Comparator headspace gauge, your fired cases are probably around 2.119"-2.122" from base to shoulder datum.  You will need to run your FL die down until you get a 2.117"-2.119" measurement after FL sizing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Green Bullet said:

Do you think I’ll need to adjust my bullet depth after I FL resize  or should it be good to 

Check your new base to ogive length and see if it changed. Adjust your seating depth to where your load was so your distance off the lands is still the same.it shouldnt change much.But I would check it.  Look up panhandle precision on YouTube Sam does a real good job about explaining all of this... all of his videos are excellent. 

You are changing your shoulder bump with the sizing die.

Your seating die will not need to be adjusted.  You should not have to touch it to retain correct CBTO.  

On 11/30/2019 at 3:44 PM, Green Bullet said:

I went to the range today and had a hard time loading a handful of rounds.    The bolt would get jammed and not close all the way.   These brass have 5 rounds on them.    I shoot 168 VLDs with 60gr of RL22.  

could the brass be expanding after 5 rounds and time to toss em?   I checked the CBTO measurements and it’s dead on with respect to what my recipe calls for.  

831A23E7-DAA1-4106-96D3-A2C20BF221B9.jpeg

If it's a belted magnum the head diameter has expanded past chamber dimension. Toss the brass or buy a custom die that will restore the head size. Easier to buy new Norma brass.

On 12/4/2019 at 7:24 PM, L Cazador said:

If it's a belted magnum the head diameter has expanded past chamber dimension. Toss the brass or buy a custom die that will restore the head size. Easier to buy new Norma brass.

I agree it’s a sizing issue. Lance is most likely right about a shoulder bump. I have had more then one gun where the resizing die tolerances were not tight enough to reduced the base diameter enough and I’ve have to purchase a “small base die” to get the job done. 

L Cazador, what did you mean by Expanded head diameter and why does belted magnum matter?