Hey all! I’m planning on trying to draw a November tag for a Whitetail in the next few years and am looking for some options or opinions on wilderness backpacking areas or units to put in for. 
I’m in N.C. and have never hunted Couse but have researched and studied and researched some more these desert versions of what I hunt back here in the East. Very appealing and definitely challenging to me. 
From what I do know and hear I’m not interested in the border units. 31, 32, 22, 24, 23 are a few that look appealing for different reasons. I’m definitely interested in the more remote areas if at all possible. 
Thanks in advance for anybody’s 2 cents!!!

Thanks for the reply Muledeerarea33.  From what I hear and read about some of the border units safety issues with the illegals and cartel are too big of a risk for me coming from N.C. and having basically no idea of the area I am entering. After speaking with a biologist from the Tucson sector about various topics my concerns with illegals went up. 
If in your opinion I am wrong please let me know but I would hate to travel all the way to AZ for a bucket list hunt to have it spoiled by something like illegals or worse.... some kind of a cartel encounter. 

So in your guys opinion is the whole illegal/cartel thing blown up more than what it actually is or is it a legitimate concern? That’s my main concern. 
Also if any of you guys do solo multi day backpack hunts is there any consistent cell service in the wilderness parts of these units or is a satellite phone a wise piece of equipment to carry? 
Thanks for everybody’s help. If I’m lucky enough to get a tag I’ll report my experience. 

You should get cell service most anywhere down here. The illegal activity can be spooky but just focus on hunting and you prob won’t have any issues. Don’t think about it too much buddy. 

It used to be common to see border patrol with a whole gang of illegals pulled over. I have not seen that in many years.   I'm not worried at all about taking my family out camping and I have little ones. 

Yes there is still traffic but nowhere as bad as it used to be and for the most part they want nothing to do with you anyway.   I'm mostly familiar with 30b, 35a and also would not hesitate to go for 35b or the 34s.   Not to say any I did not mention would be bad I'm just not familiar with the level of traffic there. 

• Like 1

So in your guys opinion is the whole illegal/cartel thing blown up more than what it actually is or is it a legitimate concern? That’s my main concern. 
Also if any of you guys do solo multi day backpack hunts is there any consistent cell service in the wilderness parts of these units or is a satellite phone a wise piece of equipment to carry? 
Thanks for everybody’s help. If I’m lucky enough to get a tag I’ll report my experience. 

Thanks a ton guys!! Your experiences and knowledge is priceless to me! ( A guy who is a 2,000 mile away tree hunter) Obviously I’m super excited to come see the beautiful country in AZ and maybe get a crack at a deer. If not it will be a great trip anyway. 
Thanks again!!

Thanks for all you guys help. It’s a little intimidating for me to come out to AZ from NC having zero first hand experience of the area but I’ll continue to research to hopefully make my hunt as seamless as possible. 
Heading into the unknown and getting out of my element is what makes a trip like this so appealing to me. I’ve hunted everything that walks or flys in the East but never ventured West for big game. 
If anybody has any definite do’s or dont’s to add I would greatly appreciate it. 
Thanks!! 

11 hours ago, Down East said:

Thanks a ton guys!! Your experiences and knowledge is priceless to me! ( A guy who is a 2,000 mile away tree hunter) Obviously I’m super excited to come see the beautiful country in AZ and maybe get a crack at a deer. If not it will be a great trip anyway. 
Thanks again!!

The whole border situation is different for everybody and totally depends on the person. I have hunted in 36B & 36C since I was 12 years old, over 25 years now. I have never had any problems, but almost all of that time I was hunting with at least 1 other person. There have been a handful of times that I've crossed paths with a few illegals, or seen a large group go by a few hundred yards away. It was always uneventful in the end. The few times that I have hunted alone down there I didn't sleep well at night and I hated hiking alone in the dark. I really didn't enjoy it near as much. On the flip side though, there are tons of deer in the border units and the hunting is great. If I'm not hunting alone then the border units are by far my favorite to hunt. The deer in my avatar was killed about a mile from the border. Each person's fears and concerns are different, so it all depends on you. If you think you'll be bothered by just the thought that you may have some kind of encounter, then you will most likely be better off putting in for a non border unit. I've never hunted 31 or 32, but 22, 23, and the 24's are very good choices for what you want to do. The last 2 deer I have killed were in 24B, one of them being this past Thanksgiving weekend. There is a huge wilderness in 24B that is great for backpack hunting.

daryl_s,

Very well stated man!! I appreciate the info and the way you presented it. 
I’m looking to have a hunting trip with as few concerns as possible. Do I want to see deer and beautiful country? Absolutely! But safety and ease of mind is at the top of my priority list. I have a family and it would be irresponsible for me to put myself in a situation I would not be completely comfortable with. I am fluent in English and Spanish and feel as though I could deal with most situations but if I can see a few deer and sleep well at night and enjoy my days glassing I will be tickled! 
Sounds as though I would probably be fine in the southern units but I’m not as blood thirsty at 44 as I was in my younger days. I want a quality hunt at the end of the day. Quality meaning a great overall experience. The hunt will not be evaluated solely based on buck score. 
I have shot countless deer here in the East and some of my most memorable hunts are not necessarily the highest scoring bucks. 
Thanks again for your info. Very appreciated. 

• Like 1