Sign in to follow this  
wklman

bittersweet find

well i got the day of work today so i decided to go out shed hunting in one of my honeyholes. I had missed a really nice buck in november and had seen him in january while bowhunting with my pastor. i've seen him in the same long canyon everytime i'd gone out so i concentrated my efforts there. after a couple of hours of hiking around the canyon with no luck i decided to head back to the truck.as i walked around a corner of a wash i spied an antler laying on the ground up ahead and it looked like a good one. once i got to it i noticed it was from the buck i had missed in november. i was really excited until i looked down at the base of it and noticed part of the skull was still attached.its bittersweet since i pretty much had this buck figured out for next year and was looking forward to seeing how he would of grown. i put a tape to him just for fun and his total score is 44 1/8 with a back tine of 9". if you match that up and put in a conservative inside spread of 12" he'd be right at 100".

000_0006.jpg

000_0003.jpg

that much skull routinely comes off when the antler is shed.. I've seen it on many diff species of antlered game before.. your buck is still out there waiting for ya alive and well! Well, maybe with a headache!

crazy! super cool find - keep looking for that other side! It'll be easier to find if there is a skeleton attached. Must be near by (ha! I've spent months looking for matching sides and not found them -- or found them a stones throw away from the first one months later -- or really really far away in a random spot I'd never expect ;) ) its out there somewhere...

Imagine, you're one antler away from a rack of a lifetime -- and you already know where to look. You're gonna wake up every morning thinking about it!

T

that much skull routinely comes off when the antler is shed.. I've seen it on many diff species of antlered game before.. your buck is still out there waiting for ya alive and well! Well, maybe with a headache!

I've seen/heard of this as well. Don't give up hope man!

well i pulled one of my european mounts off the wall to see how much area is in-between the base of the antler and the skull and it looks like there might be a chance this buck is still alive.the only reason i thought it was dead was that every shed that I've found was flat or a little bit concave and clean and this one has about 3/4 of an inch of bone attached to it.I hope to head out again this saturday to make a more thorough check of the area to see if i can find the other side.that is if i can wake up after going to metallica friday night. :rolleyes:

well i pulled one of my european mounts off the wall to see how much area is in-between the base of the antler and the skull and it looks like there might be a chance this buck is still alive.the only reason i thought it was dead was that every shed that I've found was flat or a little bit concave and clean and this one has about 3/4 of an inch of bone attached to it.I hope to head out again this saturday to make a more thorough check of the area to see if i can find the other side.that is if i can wake up after going to metallica friday night. :rolleyes:

Metalica???? :blink: WHERE???? I Wanna Go!!!!!! ;)

I to think your buck is alive.... maybe had a headache after losing that horn but probaly alive.... I'd bet you are going to play heck finding the other side.... Good Luck!!!

CnS

Metalica???? :blink: WHERE???? I Wanna Go!!!!!! ;)

I to think your buck is alive.... maybe had a headache after losing that horn but probaly alive.... I'd bet you are going to play heck finding the other side.... Good Luck!!!

CnS

Metallica is playing at KFMA day in Tucson. Friday and Saturday!

Ya dude, realize that you just found a rare and hard to find "brown" coues shed and enjoy it! Congrats on a fantastic find bro!!! Have a blast at Metallica!