az4life

Ever heard of a Mtn Killing a Mtn Lion?

too cool!!! what a pik! thanx josh

Hey no problem, I had no idea you guys/gals would like it that much. It's been on my website for years and no one has ever said a thing. Back in High School I showed it to my art teacher and he about had an asthmatic attack or something. He played on the far left side of the fence if you know what I mean. I just thought it was a kick butt action shot like he asked us to bring in and draw. Whoopsidaisy.

This picture made the cover of the dog magazine, Full Cry, several years ago.

Josh

It sure the crap is! How did you know that? Who are you Wetmule?

Josh

Wowie!

I agree with Chris. This beats the mule/lion pic.

Action, drama, danger, conflict, controversy, purpose - and leaving the viewer guessing as to the outcome. That's art.

If "Trappings of the American West" were as western as they think they are, they would include something like this.

How many events similar to this has your dad witnessed - and not photographed?

The West wasn't won with a water pistol.

That pic ought to be published in some kinda book somewhere.

Thanks for correcting me about the reigns in the mule/lion pic. I believe you are correct. Just shows to go you that I don't know squat about horses.

Mike

Josh,

I spent some time chasing cats with your dad back in the 80's. My name is Kevin Harris. Had an incredible time with your dad for a couple weeks and watching his dogs work on dry ground was beyond compare, especially watching "Warrior" work. That was one savage dog, probably one of the best to ever run around in AZ. I had a great time with your dad his knowledge of those cats and their habits is pretty amazing. I would have loved to run around with your dad and Otis Baker back in the day. Tell him Hello for me.

I agree with all of the above, that is a great picture.

Kevin, thanks again and yes I'll tell Dad hello. His email is dogman@commspeed.net if you want to drop him a line yourself. If you were hangin with him in the mid 80's I was just a little toe headed wanna-be hunter like my Dad. You should see Dad's dogs now and I don't mean his feet. He has a crew of dogs now that are unreal. It is awesome watching those dogs work.

Mike you are too funny man, we really need to go hit the hills together one of these days. I agree that that pic of Dad's really does need to go into some sort of lion hunting book sometime. Mike you should hear the story about Dad lassooing(sp?) a lion in a tree where he was going to remove a homemade tracking collar put on it previously by some rouge lion hunter so he could just track it up and kill it later. I'll have to tell you about that one sometime.

Josh

so Josh, whats the story on that? the lion turned on your dad and that dog got in the way??? did that dog make it past that fight? your dad shot that from the hip??? wow that is cool!!!

what is this? i leave for a couple weeks to rid the countryside of them elk vermins and than i get all slanderized because some dude owns a cool mule? heck, i'd claim that mule in a heartbeat. a guy that said he took these photos sent them to me several weeks before i left. said that the lion had been treed and shot at least once, but still had a lot of fight in it. also said the mule has done this same thing quite a few times. didn't say anything about it pulling it off of it's back after it was loaded. you can see in the photos that it's still alive. mules are an odd animal. they'll do some of the goofiest stuff you ever heard of. my ol' black mule would trail and tree right with the hounds. if it got so rough that he couldn't follow, i'd toss the reins around the horn and turn him loose. he'd follow the baying and most of the time beat me to the tree. he hated lions too, but i think it was because he felt like he ought to because the dogs did. not from some past situation or memory. mules learn things completely differently than other animals. and for different reasons. i'm pretty sure these photos are the real deal and i'm pretty sure the guy that sent em to me was tellin' the truth. said they were taken in northern new mex. ya hunt lions long enough, and you'll see some of the craziest stuff you ever imagined. i've had em jump outta the tree right into my saddle, while i was still in it. had em come down outta the tree and single me out and chase me all over the place, too. had my bacon saved more than once by a brave hound. anyway, shoot lions guys. Lark.

I'm glad all you guys liked it.

Josh