Sign in to follow this  
maximus

regulations

They have to approve them first. Seems like I read somewhere the commission would meet the 17th. Regs should be out by first of the month I would think.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CouesFanatic said:

They still don't have recommendations out as far as I've seen for deer. They have the sheep recommendations out though. Still need approval in the meeting as well. 

COMMISSION ORDER 2 – DEER 

The Commission approved the 2020 deer hunts and permit numbers in April 2019 as part of the 2year hunt recommendation package. The Department is recommending amending Commission Order 2 (deer) to address biological concerns for mule deer in Unit 24B due to effects from the Woodbury Fire and to adjust season dates on some Fort Huachuca hunts to mirror military leave schedules. 

Unit 24B amendment: The Department recommends decreasing permits from 400 to 200 in the November 13 – 22 mule deer hunt in Unit 24B. This recommendation is based on the landscape level habitat changes caused by the Woodbury fire, decreased number of mule deer observed on survey and low buck to doe numbers, and historical data showing an overall decreasing trend in the mule deer population in Unit 24B. It is also recommended that the December over-the-counter archery deer season close for mule deer; the December over-the-counter season will remain open for white-tailed deer only.  This recommendation should help address the low buck to doe ratio in Unit 24B. 

In the summer of 2019, the Woodbury Fire burned almost 124,000 acres of Unit 24B, primarily in the Superstition Wilderness. It is the fifth largest wildfire in the history of Arizona and burned 
2020 Big Game Commission Orders March 23, 2020 Page 3 of 3 

roughly 30% of the unit and about 70% of the Wilderness. As seen with other units after large scale wildfires, it is believed the fire will significantly improve habitat which will support increased deer populations.  

Fort Huachuca (Unit 35A) amendment: The Department recommends amending the season dates for the following hunts to align with military leave schedules. 

Hunt Type Legal Wildlife Season Dates Amended Dates Permits General Antlered white-tailed deer Nov 13-22, 2020 Nov 20-Dec 3, 2020 100 military General Antlered white-tailed deer Dec 11-31, 2020 Dec 18-31, 2020 80 military Youth Only Any antlered deer Nov 6-22, 2020 Nov 13-29, 2020 20 military dependent Muzzleloader Any antlered deer Dec 11-31, 2020 Dec 18-31, 2020 10 military 

Recommendation: The Department recommends that the Commission VOTE TO AMEND COMMISSION ORDER 2 – DEER FOR 2020, AS PRESENTED. 

I wonder if we will be able to make comments? They took the 44A muzzy hunt out over 20 years ago. In the areas I hunt the numbers are coming back. I know it's a snowball chance in h3ll that they would reinstate it but I would certainly like to see it happen.

3 hours ago, 654321 said:

COMMISSION ORDER 2 – DEER 

The Commission approved the 2020 deer hunts and permit numbers in April 2019 as part of the 2year hunt recommendation package. The Department is recommending amending Commission Order 2 (deer) to address biological concerns for mule deer in Unit 24B due to effects from the Woodbury Fire and to adjust season dates on some Fort Huachuca hunts to mirror military leave schedules. 

Unit 24B amendment: The Department recommends decreasing permits from 400 to 200 in the November 13 – 22 mule deer hunt in Unit 24B. This recommendation is based on the landscape level habitat changes caused by the Woodbury fire, decreased number of mule deer observed on survey and low buck to doe numbers, and historical data showing an overall decreasing trend in the mule deer population in Unit 24B. It is also recommended that the December over-the-counter archery deer season close for mule deer; the December over-the-counter season will remain open for white-tailed deer only.  This recommendation should help address the low buck to doe ratio in Unit 24B. 

In the summer of 2019, the Woodbury Fire burned almost 124,000 acres of Unit 24B, primarily in the Superstition Wilderness. It is the fifth largest wildfire in the history of Arizona and burned 
2020 Big Game Commission Orders March 23, 2020 Page 3 of 3 

roughly 30% of the unit and about 70% of the Wilderness. As seen with other units after large scale wildfires, it is believed the fire will significantly improve habitat which will support increased deer populations.  

Fort Huachuca (Unit 35A) amendment: The Department recommends amending the season dates for the following hunts to align with military leave schedules. 

Hunt Type Legal Wildlife Season Dates Amended Dates Permits General Antlered white-tailed deer Nov 13-22, 2020 Nov 20-Dec 3, 2020 100 military General Antlered white-tailed deer Dec 11-31, 2020 Dec 18-31, 2020 80 military Youth Only Any antlered deer Nov 6-22, 2020 Nov 13-29, 2020 20 military dependent Muzzleloader Any antlered deer Dec 11-31, 2020 Dec 18-31, 2020 10 military 

Recommendation: The Department recommends that the Commission VOTE TO AMEND COMMISSION ORDER 2 – DEER FOR 2020, AS PRESENTED. 

I saw that amendment. That doesn't mean that's the only change this year does it?

9 hours ago, CouesFanatic said:

I saw that amendment. That doesn't mean that's the only change this year does it?

I believe so.  Also because of the leap year they have to amend a bunch of the dates because they are off a little bit

• Like 1