kybuckboyjr

5bs Turkey Frustrations

Hello Guys, In March I was up in Starlite Pines scouting for my father's April turkey hunt.  I  located Turkey a mile north of Starlite Pines and east of Jacks's Canyon. I also located turkey in 2 different places of off forest rd. 211 and 82.  Came back to the cabin Friday, April 17th to spend the week prior  relocating the turkey we found in March and scout some new areas near todd draw, mclure lake and clints tank. I scouted everyday until the hunt began April 24th. In all this time I have not been able to locate or hear any birds at all in the areas where I focused my attention. From what I have researched and read from other hunters in other units. The birds seem to have strut early and/or have henned up already so they are not being vocal. Also hens are being said to be nested already. I have 3 days left to help my father locate some birds and hopefully land one.  But at this point we would be happy just locating and seeing that there are still Turkey in the area.  I saw one funny post somewhere that said game and fish forgot to stock the turkey this year in so and so unit they were hunting. lol Anyway, any advice on where these birds we found in March may have gone would be great. I thin ing of maybe moving to higher elevation, 7500 -8500 ft might produce better luck in locating the birds but not sure how far these we found would travel to get that high up or could they actually be deep in Jack's canyon. Let me know what you think. Right now I am stumped. Kentucky farm turkey are much easier to hunt!!!! This hunt has been tough and discouraging

Turkeys are not stupid.  When people start driving around in March skuwaking like sick ducks they head for the quiet areas.  

It was an early spring this year, I already have baby Quail running around.

• Like 2

If you found the birds in a certain spot a few weeks back they should be in the same general area.  I hunted 5b one time and not one gobble the weekend I was there.  Sometimes they just dont talk.  Hard to say.  For my daughters youth hunt in 6A this year there was tons of gobbling, but they were henned up.

Go out before dawn and see if you can locate there roust tree. Welcome to turkey hunting..

I had a couple of juniors up there last weekend. Looked at the areas between Starlight pines and Jacks canyon one afternoon, never saw a track. Surprised me, but that’s turkey hunting for you, I’ve seen turkeys in a few areas over the years in 5bs but nothing with any regularity. Good luck!