Markleo21377

2019 youth deer hunt

Howdy everyone,

Hope all of you and your families are well! Took my boy, Max and 2 neighbor youths, Stella and Aislen down on the youth deer hunt last November with only 2 1/2 days to hunt. Was going to be a tall order to shoot 3 bucks as my help fell through, so we would be hunting together in one group. 11 year old Stella was up first as Max had just killed a good buck in Kansas and Aislen killed last year on the youth hunt. 

The first morning found us on my favorite glassing hill looking over approximately 40 deer before we found 2 coues bucks@500 yards. I left 2 kids on the hill and we took off to get closer. We settled in at 200 yards but her inexperience and nerves kept her from feeling confident with the shot.The evening was much of the same with no shot presenting itself that she felt comfortable taking.

The following morning we quickly spotted two great bucks that would push the 90" mark. With no cover between us and the deer Stella conceded to let her 16 year old sister take the 650 yard shot. The bullet went just high and the bucks bounded out of sight. That evening we went to some flatter mule deer country and quickly spotted a forky horn. Stella got settled in for the shot at 180 yards and anchored him on the spot with her 6.5. That was followed by alot of dancing and high fiving. That evening was spent dressing him out and celebrating around the fire.

The final morning found us back on the glassing hill and just after first light we found another nice coues buck. Max was up and we moved two ridges towards him to get within a couple hundred yards. We got behind the binos and glassed but were unable to pick him back up. It was at this point dad made a rookie mistake and moved to soon to glass a different off shoot of the draw. The buck was bedded in tall grass under a Palo Verde at 150 yards and bounded over the ridge. Max was bummed but we sat down and talked about what I did wrong over snacks. We headed for home already anticipating next year!

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191123154221222_COVER.thumb.jpg.abc6bc80d599ee732cbcc3cd7aa7757e.jpg

IMG_20191122_143834.thumb.jpg.36ecf88c52b6a8bde5a4970e92a5dde2.jpgIMG_20191122_075211.thumb.jpg.7f4ca2ee10c6ee146ff261bd6a5bf80a.jpg

• Like 6

Why posting so late, we should have celebrating already. Awesome and priceless

• Like 1