az_runner

7W youth cow hunt

My oldest (12) jumped through all the hoops and did the Hunters Education course with AZGF, put in for cow elk as an “it will never happen, but why not try” thing.  The kid actually landed a dang cow youth tag for 7W in mid-October.  I’ve never been drawn for elk and haven’t even attempted for rifle or OTC deer that far north. I’m not much help to the kid besides just pounding him with my boots on the ground and this shoot aint going to come easy warnings. heck it took me 3 years to get my first AZ deer, so the kid knows he’s going to work for this opportunity.

We’ve been making the haul up there the past few weekends and have camped out a few times and also made some long butt day trips. So far, we’ve been all along the base of Kendrick coming off of the 245 hitting the south side pretty dang hard and sweeping our way to the west side all the way out to the Pumpkin trail. We also started pushing north up some of the goat trails like roads to higher elevations though we’re not seeing the expected sign up higher during hikes. Yesterday, we made a day trip and hit the lower areas away from Kendrick and found some pretty recent sign where we literally pulled over and started hiking back trying to stay away from any trails or roads. I’m finally starting to feel good about some of thick areas that we recently came across. I’m guessing elk are like deer and what stands for today doesn’t mean anything tomorrow much rather 4 months out when temps drop.

I’m thinking that the Kendrick area is going to be a circus come opening day and that the lower areas are going to be more productive for us to focus on during our next trips up. Not to mention the lower areas seem to make more sense to me from the idea of if the higher elevations are starting to get any early or decent snow.

Do you guys have any thoughts or experience in 7W and what to expect in mid-October? Am I way off on my thinking to stay a good bit south of Kendrick or even away to focus on the lower forest? 

Lots of elk in 7w, the foothills surrounding Kendrick holds tons of elk.  Area between red mountain and Kendrick is solid.  

Get up high and glass the flats first and last light.You will find them.

7 hours ago, wendt said:

Especially the flats on the north end of Spring Valley Rd.

Yeah. Got a few spots marked around there to hike, just ran out of time last weekend. 

• Like 1