tyler1215

Eastern Turkey hunts

I want to start planning a eastern turkey hunt. Any suggestions for states that are easier to get drawn and be successful?

Not sure what the public land / access to private land is like, but I’ve seen some pretty nice birds come out of Kansas and Missouri both, as Azbullhunter mentioned

There is enough public/leased land by the state of Kansas to hunt there.  Get the maps by the state and you can find enough land to hunt. I have hunted Kansas numerous times on private land but have seen birds on "public land"

There are definitely public land options in Kansas.  If you want true easterns in KS, you have to go to the far eastern part of the state.  There is an intergrade zone of eastern/rio birds in the Wichita area.  On top of that, KS reduced the number of tags this seasons due to declining numbers.  In units where you could get two OTC tags, you can now only get one.

Lots of birds in Iowa, too, with similar public access as KS.  Its a draw for NRs in Iowa, but doable,

11 hours ago, IA Born said:

There are definitely public land options in Kansas.  If you want true easterns in KS, you have to go to the far eastern part of the state.  There is an intergrade zone of eastern/rio birds in the Wichita area.  On top of that, KS reduced the number of tags this seasons due to declining numbers.  In units where you could get two OTC tags, you can now only get one.

Lots of birds in Iowa, too, with similar public access as KS.  Its a draw for NRs in Iowa, but doable,

Thanks man I'll look into Iowa. I'm definitely looking for a true eastern 

1 hour ago, tyler1215 said:

Thanks man I'll look into Iowa. I'm definitely looking for a true eastern 

Unfortunately, I can't put you in touch with any friends with private land, but I can point you to some state owned/public areas near where I used to hunt that are typically loaded with birds!

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 8:05 PM, tyler1215 said:

Yeah that would be awesome. Thank you

Sorry, was gone for a while and forgot about this.  I used to hunt private land near the Stephens State Forest in Southern Iowa, near Chariton. There are several different units of that State Forest down there.  I'm pretty sure we were near the 1000 Acre Unit.