Newmule

Help for mule deer hunt

Hi I’m going to be hunting d16 zone in San Diego this year.  was wondering if there is any body out there who would be willing to shine the ropes on a mule deer hunt ? 

If you dont have a quality pair of binoculars that is the first place I would start. A pair of 10x42 / 12x50 / 15x56. I like to have a 10x42 or 8x42 around my neck and a pair of 15x56 for glassing but some people like to carry just a pair of 12x50. The most important is good glass combined with a tripod. Then glass just as the sun is coming up, you will need to get there  long before then though and then again in the evening. Dont go back to camp at midday they will get up to feed, water, turn around or move to stay out of the sun. I would also look for drainage's that have water in them away from any road. 

Good luck!

22 hours ago, ThomC said:

No, pervert!

Where did that come from, did I miss something, or you just being you??

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 1:40 PM, Newmule said:

Hi I’m going to be hunting d16 zone in San Diego this year.  was wondering if there is any body out there who would be willing to shine the ropes on a mule deer hunt ? 

There is tons of public land in Cleland National forest.. try to get some scouting time and be prepared to hike some tough terrain. Also get onx app so you know fore sure you haven't wondered on to private land. Also check out schoutdoors.com its a good site with a lot of d 16 info and people

If you can, put out a couple trail cams.  That will at least let you know what is in the area.  Personally I avoid placing them on tanks as Im afraid of them being taken. 

I agree with 452b264 about having good binoculars.  You said you had 10x50s but didnt mention the brand.  For years I used Walmart binos and thought they were good enough.  When I bought some Vortex it was like a whole new world.  I saw so so many more deer.