Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

Savage model 16 build

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

Isn't the original factory stock black synthetic? They were not really intended to be a long range rifle when they first came out. I ordered one for a friend in 338 and worked up some loads for him knowing it would be an Elk and Caribou gun with shots under 200 yards.

You are correct, it's synthetic with a ton of flex...lmost rubber-like in feel.  He bought it chambered in Lazzeroni's short action Patriot and has had tremendous success in working up a load and Lance has assisted him with accurizing even more so.  It's weakest link is the stock, so he's been looking.  After getting everyone's replies, I think he finally has made his biggest strides.  Sorry to hijack the thread!

• Like 2

ctafoya, I am the one with the savage rifle that Chef was talking about.  As he said I have been shooting the Sierra 168 grain hpbt with great success. I was given the load data when I bought the rifle years ago and have never had a reason to change.  I had Lance take the rifle and tweak the load and get it as tight as he could without changing any of the components.  Finished product was under .4 moa.  A friend of mine used to shoot competitively and was sponsored by Sierra.  So he hooked me up with a box of 500 bullets.  If you want to try them out and see how they shoot let me know and I will give you a handful.

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer, I have a pile of those already. Ill give them a try after this years hunt. Too late to start a new load this year. 

3 hours ago, ctafoya said:

Thanks for the offer, I have a pile of those already. Ill give them a try after this years hunt. Too late to start a new load this year. 

Hunts are still months away.

I have an archery elk hunt coming up thats consuming most of my time.