bowsniper

Doe activity during the rut

Other than the actual breeding activity, does doe behavior change during the rut? Do the does still stay together, keeping the same bedding and feeding activity, only now with an occasional buck tagging along, waiting for a doe to be ready? What about the spikes that are still running with the does? Do the bucks run them off from the does during the rut?

Thanks,

Bowsniper

I have one reference point which is a group of does that I and a few buddies have observed in 02 and 03 archery seasons. This group stayed in the same area through out the rut. Smaller bucks tended to move with them on there daily movements. Some of the larger bucks stayed bedded in the immediate area on some slower rut days. On peak days they were getting chased all over but stayed on their home turf.

Good Luck

Dan

From what I have seen the does keep the same routines. it's the bucks behavior and movements that changes dramatically. Although I have seen doe groups during the rut running around chasing each other and I couldn't find a buck with them. So I think they get frisky too, but they don't have to alter their movements to find bucks.

Amanda

What I've seen seems to be pretty consistant with what has been said so far. The does hang pretty much in the same areas and the bucks move in. I have noticed that the groups will some times get larger in number, especially if there is a large buck with them.

Brian

Thanks for your comments guys. I'm going to put up a treestand for the archery hunt in a doe traffic area, and hope that a buck follows them in sometime.

Bowsniper

Sound like a good plan Bowsniper. Just think how many times we have been busted following the girls! :lol: :D

:ph34r: