Sign in to follow this  
Couzer

Little fishing in the White Mountains

18 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

They also put them in bear canyon in the late 80's. Awesome catch.

They must have all died out. I seem to recall the grayling plants.  I have a couple old articles about the Rim lakes on another computer that went belly up on me yesterday. Soon as I figure out how to retrieve them, I'll check.

Here's the current info from the AGFD:

BEAR CANYON

Description

A beautiful, narrow and canyon-bound lake, Bear Canyon Lake is another in a series of lakes built by Arizona Game and Fish Department to provide fishing opportunities for anglers. Despite being several miles down a dirt road and having few amenities, it draws many visitors. It's a scenic drive to the lake on Forest Road 300 (known locally as the Rim Road or 300 road), which offers several lookout points with spectacular vistas and views from the edge of the Mogollon Rim. A short, but somewhat difficult hike is required to reach the lake.

At an elevation of 7.560 feet, the 60-acre Bear Canyon Lake has no launching facilities since it's a walk-in only lake. Due to its depth (max. depth 50-feet), the lake has no water quality problems. The Arizona Game and Fish Department stocks Bear Canyon Lake with 12-inch rainbow trout throughout the spring and summer.

Bear Canyon Lake is a “Pack it in-Pack it out” area with no garbage disposal or services at the lake. Please pack out your trash, including discarded fishing line and other tackle. The lake is normally open from April to November. Weather can change the dates the lake is accessible. Call the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest Black Mesa District at (928) 535-7300 for the most up-to-date information, or go to Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest - Bear Canyon Lake.

Species
Sportfish species include rainbow trout. and green sunfish.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

They must have all died out. I seem to recall the grayling plants.  I have a couple old articles about the Rim lakes on another computer that went belly up on me yesterday. Soon as I figure out how to retrieve them, I'll check.

Here's the current info from the AGFD:

BEAR CANYON

Description

A beautiful, narrow and canyon-bound lake, Bear Canyon Lake is another in a series of lakes built by Arizona Game and Fish Department to provide fishing opportunities for anglers. Despite being several miles down a dirt road and having few amenities, it draws many visitors. It's a scenic drive to the lake on Forest Road 300 (known locally as the Rim Road or 300 road), which offers several lookout points with spectacular vistas and views from the edge of the Mogollon Rim. A short, but somewhat difficult hike is required to reach the lake.

At an elevation of 7.560 feet, the 60-acre Bear Canyon Lake has no launching facilities since it's a walk-in only lake. Due to its depth (max. depth 50-feet), the lake has no water quality problems. The Arizona Game and Fish Department stocks Bear Canyon Lake with 12-inch rainbow trout throughout the spring and summer.

Bear Canyon Lake is a “Pack it in-Pack it out” area with no garbage disposal or services at the lake. Please pack out your trash, including discarded fishing line and other tackle. The lake is normally open from April to November. Weather can change the dates the lake is accessible. Call the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest Black Mesa District at (928) 535-7300 for the most up-to-date information, or go to Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest - Bear Canyon Lake.

Species
Sportfish species include rainbow trout. and green sunfish.

IIRC Bear Canyon at that time was lure only and barbless hooks.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

IIRC Bear Canyon at that time was lure only and barbless hooks.

Me thinks that's correct. No longer, however. Even AGFD recommends Power Bait. 

• Like 1

Still a few and far between. It was fun feeling like you were in Alaska..

• Like 1

Yo Vowell

I got all jelly just reading the title haha good job.

• Like 1