Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Coconino fungus

I found theses growing on downed timber. Edible? No guesses please.0826201306a.thumb.jpg.2e01beff82ebe36f2d669d66d04e2d3a.jpg0826201306.thumb.jpg.8a3e03125952889cfec0a7bfc40fd0a5.jpg

Everything is edible, at least once.

I wouldn't trust any internet advice to guide you on potentially life threatening decisions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chef said:

Everything is edible, at least once.

I wouldn't trust any internet advice to guide you on potentially life threatening decisions.

If anyone knows what they are and has a name or pic in a fungus guide, please share.  I'm curious.

Not a pro yet. But interested in the topic overall. No doesnt look like any of the typical az edibles. Nice thing in AZ we only have so many edibles...

Found some oyster shrooms last time out.

8 minutes ago, Edge said:

Found some oyster shrooms last time out.

I bought a book from The Nature Conservancy down here called mushrooming without a fear it was sort of a letdown basically only tells you to eat mushrooms that don't have gills so that eliminates most other ones if I remember correctly the oyster mushrooms have ridges not gills underneath and they'll be growing off of like a tree trunk or something. But I'm not the guy that you want to listen to right now.  

Several years ago I sort of got on a mushroom hunting kick.   It was super cool, and a fun thing to add to fishing trips to the White Mountains & Rim when my kids were younger (and sweeter).   I found the 'Arizona Mushroom Society' online, and actually talked to some dude there to try to get info on mushroom identification.  To Chef's point, this guy would NOT help me over the phone or with pics.  He said that it is way too risky, even for him to be identifying some of them via pics.  He offered to have me join him on some of their club excursions to the woods to learn, which might have been fun but I never had quite that level of interest or time.

The only ones that ever became sort of no-brainers for me were what are called "oily" or "slimy" mushrooms.  They are yellowish in color, and like catfishkev said, they have no ridges underneath.  They are just sort of spongy looking.   Lots of them grow in AZ.  Pretty easy to find, but I don't think they are considered a very desirable variety.

Anyway, good luck with the mushrooms!!

S.

• Like 1

edible boletes have pores underneath. In Az learn the king, barrows and aspen.  On our lady outing we only found slippery jacks.  Yuck! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stanley said:

Several years ago I sort of got on a mushroom hunting kick.   It was super cool, and a fun thing to add to fishing trips to the White Mountains & Rim when my kids were younger (and sweeter).   I found the 'Arizona Mushroom Society' online, and actually talked to some dude there to try to get info on mushroom identification.  To Chef's point, this guy would NOT help me over the phone or with pics.  He said that it is way too risky, even for him to be identifying some of them via pics.  He offered to have me join him on some of their club excursions to the woods to learn, which might have been fun but I never had quite that level of interest or time.

The only ones that ever became sort of no-brainers for me were what are called "oily" or "slimy" mushrooms.  They are yellowish in color, and like catfishkev said, they have no ridges underneath.  They are just sort of spongy looking.   Lots of them grow in AZ.  Pretty easy to find, but I don't think they are considered a very desirable variety.

Anyway, good luck with the mushrooms!!

S.

Huh, I would have thought you brought a lotta psilocybin home

1 minute ago, Edge said:

Huh, I would have thought you brought a lotta psilocybin home

Ever tried em? 

8 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Ever tried em? 

Let my silence be your guide.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Made the mistake trying them on a work night. I learned something that nite. Dont do drugs at work.

• Haha 1