Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Canned Pronghorn

Went to New Mexico last weekend, and was fortunate to kill an average buck (Lance knows where... ;)).   A trophy to me!   My sons and I only hunted pronghorn for the first time just three years ago, and I was immediately impressed with the meat.  Super delicious!!

Anyway, I saw a post many years ago on that other site about pressure canning game pronghorn, and was intrigued enough to try it out.  (Obviously it could be used with ANY meat, but I chose pronghorn.....).  So it was basically super simple.  I got some canning jars and stuffed them full of pronghorn scraps.  Put a 1/2 bullion cube into the jar, and also a couple of spicy jalapeno slices in some of them.  Pressure cooked according to instruction - 15psi for 90 minutes.  It came out really awesome!!  It's like pot roast in a jar!

I'm assuming others are doing this???

Happy eating, all!!!

S.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The boned & prepped meat.  No, I did NOT use the back straps!!   LOL LOL   Those are amazing cooked rare in the cast iron skillet! ;) 

pronghorn.jpg

Finished canned (bottled) meat.  Tasty!

potted pronghorn.jpg

So then I decided to experiment a bit.  I used larger jars, and added carrots, celery, and onion (mirepoix), plus some new-potatos and a 1/2 bullion cube.  Instant stew!!!  Don't have the 'after' pic, but it's not much to look at anyway! LOL   Suffice to say, tasted excellent!pronghorn prep.jpgpronghorn prep 2.jpg

• Like 6

I do that ever year (not with pronghorn) but can meat with fresh green chili and make several big jars of stew. Way healthier than store bought canned food and just tastes better!! I use corn starch to thicken, cook the stew half done in a pot then pressure can. Not sure if it’s the right way but it always comes out great! Get a sourdough starter going and make some fresh bread for stew night, you’ll be happy!

• Like 1

Great stuff Stan!  Congrats again in the success. I have to join you one of these days. 

I have a friend that graduated CIA With me at the same time that has made quite the name for himself from preserving, canning etc. Great way to cook. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 5:24 AM, Chef said:

Great stuff Stan!  Congrats again in the success. I have to join you one of these days. 

I have a friend that graduated CIA With me at the same time that has made quite the name for himself from preserving, canning etc. Great way to cook. 

Indeed, Hector.  It has been WAY too long since we've spent time in the field together.  ;)

On 8/28/2020 at 8:31 PM, stanley said:

Went to New Mexico last weekend, and was fortunate to kill an average buck (Lance knows where... ;)).   A trophy to me!   My sons and I only hunted pronghorn for the first time just three years ago, and I was immediately impressed with the meat.  Super delicious!!

Anyway, I saw a post many years ago on that other site about pressure canning game pronghorn, and was intrigued enough to try it out.  (Obviously it could be used with ANY meat, but I chose pronghorn.....).  So it was basically super simple.  I got some canning jars and stuffed them full of pronghorn scraps.  Put a 1/2 bullion cube into the jar, and also a couple of spicy jalapeno slices in some of them.  Pressure cooked according to instruction - 15psi for 90 minutes.  It came out really awesome!!  It's like pot roast in a jar!

I'm assuming others are doing this???

Happy eating, all!!!

S.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The boned & prepped meat.  No, I did NOT use the back straps!!   LOL LOL   Those are amazing cooked rare in the cast iron skillet! ;) 

pronghorn.jpg

Finished canned (bottled) meat.  Tasty!

potted pronghorn.jpg

So then I decided to experiment a bit.  I used larger jars, and added carrots, celery, and onion (mirepoix), plus some new-potatos and a 1/2 bullion cube.  Instant stew!!!  Don't have the 'after' pic, but it's not much to look at anyway! LOL   Suffice to say, tasted excellent!pronghorn prep.jpgpronghorn prep 2.jpg

I do?