Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

Jakes last hunt

spent some quality time with my boy Jake this week chasing Elk and deer. I kind of knew it was getting close to time but not as close as now! Don’t get me wrong Jake is fine he will just be a home bound dog from now on, we put some good miles in checking cams and hiking my bow around and even though he could hardly stand up after a few days in he still tried to go with me this morning. He is a real bad dude, he hated it but I gave him the day off. I’m going to miss some of my favorite time in the mountains with Jake leading the way out in front of the mules or running squirms from tree to tree. Happy retirement buddy, you earned it. 

EDC41897-D2C9-4000-9296-751CD1D6829A.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

I'm surprised Lisa let's you take him out.

Last week I made the mistake of inviting the fabulous Mr B and his understudy, the abominable Ms B on a quick hike.  Long story short, yeah he's 100% retired.

• Like 1

A sad day for sure but you have the memory of all the adventures and his indomitable spirit.  Daphne the wonder dog (my avatar), went on her last trip a year ago.  I feel bad leaving her but she struggles at the end of her one mile walks when she used to literally be able to go all day.  Like Jake, she still follows me around when she knows I'm heading out and tries not to be left behind.  We're all fighting the indefensible assault of time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

How old is Jake? My lab Glenys ran around the mountains and marsh with me up to 111/12 years old.

Ya Jake is 11 or so and I know it’s time. I’m preaching to the choir with the loss of dog after dog over the years, heck thats how u tell time these days. I know where I was and year based on what dog was up to what. We are torn right now on weather we will continue to have dogs in our life. So hard to watch them go but I will lose track of time without them. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

Ya Jake is 11 or so and I know it’s time. I’m preaching to the choir with the loss of dog after dog over the years, heck thats how u tell time these days. I know where I was and year based on what dog was up to what. We are torn right now on weather we will continue to have dogs in our life. So hard to watch them go but I will lose track of time without them. 

Same with your horses and mules. I remember time spent with them more pleasant than most women in my life.