bowhunter-tw

Unit 22 mule deer hunt

My roommate drew a 22 mule deer rifle tag for end of oct. The initial plan when we put in was I would help him as he has never hunted before and I’ve done a fair bit of hunting. I broke my ankle right about 2 months ago when we were going to start scouting. We have been out a few times but about all I can do is glass from the truck. So far I have just been finding whitetail. I was looking at the map and realized that the 22 border extends east of 87 further north than I though and includes an area around Gisela, has anyone hunted back in that area and seen mule deer? From the highway it looks like the right terrain. We plan to get out there and glass but season approaches quickly..

I broke my ankle on 2/15 and was basically off of it for two months. I am about 60% on it now but still careful about how I put weight on it. I can hike and go up and down on a ladder but stairs are slower going, especially going down. I have only driven in there once but didn't hunt it.

11 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

I broke my ankle on 2/15 and was basically off of it for two months. I am about 60% on it now but still careful about how I put weight on it. I can hike and go up and down on a ladder but stairs are slower going, especially going down. I have only driven in there once but didn't hunt it.

Yah it kinda sucks, of course I broke my right foot... left foot driving is interesting. I cant walk without the boot but can weight it with the walking boot on. As soon as the terrain gets un even its game over though. I wouldnt have thought recovery would take so long, but its the first major bone ive broken so definitely a learning experience. 

Gisela is pretty low on deer density. I’d go full commit on hunting the desert floor. You get any kind of elevation and whitetails will dominate.

• Like 2

Unfortunately most of 22 burned up and is closed this season, I think I have one other spot to look, around the back side of bartlett but it will be a challenge to get in there. I will give the desert a better look, I kinda overlooked the lower elevation areas

I usually hunt 22 a few times a year. I usually see muleys west of Rye and towards Gisela. A few weeks ago I seen a nice looking buck, although his antlers had all kinds of crazy going on. He was near Zulu tank area.

20 minutes ago, Tradman said:

I usually hunt 22 a few times a year. I usually see muleys west of Rye and towards Gisela. A few weeks ago I seen a nice looking buck, although his antlers had all kinds of crazy going on. He was near Zulu tank area.

For my roommates first ever big game hunt any legal animal will be a trophy for him. I typically hunt for meat, not antlers... though they are an added bonus. I will check it out this weekend, thanks for the tip!

3 hours ago, bowhunter-tw said:

Yah it kinda sucks, of course I broke my right foot... left foot driving is interesting. I cant walk without the boot but can weight it with the walking boot on. As soon as the terrain gets un even its game over though. I wouldnt have thought recovery would take so long, but its the first major bone ive broken so definitely a learning experience. 

Well I've got a plate and screws holding it together now which will be permanent. I was walking on it after two months but I had to keep my foot pointed to the right for a couple of months before it was flexible enough to face completely forward. My right ankle bone is still about 2" bigger around than my left and I have about 20% less range of motion.

I just bought bonus points for this fall knowing it wouldn't be in my best interest to do much hunting considering I mostly solo hunt.

• Like 1