Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Elk don't shoot back

7 minutes ago, bigbuckfever said:

Looks like a decent mass elk rack laying in the grass behind the one dudes shoulder.

Good eye

Ludlow.  my favorite writer had Ludlow as a protagonist in two infamous period efforts-Jim Harrisons' novella 'legends of the fall' and the novel 'Dalva'.

lee

ps it is a sin to suggest others reading materiel but the two novella collections by jim harrison 'legends of the fall' and 'the woman lit by fireflies' are defining works.  my favorite being 'sunset limited'  with the first paragraph beginning in the pre-dawn at Willcox.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 4:51 PM, biglakejake said:

Ludlow.  my favorite writer had Ludlow as a protagonist in two infamous period efforts-Jim Harrisons' novella 'legends of the fall' and the novel 'Dalva'.

lee

ps it is a sin to suggest others reading materiel but the two novella collections by jim harrison 'legends of the fall' and 'the woman lit by fireflies' are defining works.  my favorite being 'sunset limited'  with the first paragraph beginning in the pre-dawn at Willcox.

Jim Harrison was a fantastic writer. After I  stumbled on to  "Dalva"  many years ago in quickly read all of his works. 

Agree with you 100% re 'legends of the fall' and 'the woman lit by fireflies'

On 10/8/2020 at 12:27 PM, Outdoor Writer said:

It was killed in Yellowstone, Wyoming, according to one photo caption. Thus, it would be a Rocky Mt. elk, same as here.

Those Yellowstone NP tags are hard to come by anymore.

1 minute ago, HorseHunter said:

Those Yellowstone NP tags are hard to come by anymore.

Actually, they are impossible anymore. 😉 I think they quit inside the park culling in the early 1960s. BUT...they kill a lot of the NP elk when they migrate out of the park. The only NP where any elk culling has recently occurred inside the park bounsaries is Rocky Mt.  

9 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Actually, they are impossible anymore. 😉 I think they quit inside the park culling in the early 1960s. BUT...they kill a lot of the NP elk when they migrate out of the park. The only NP where any elk culling has recently occurred inside the park bounsaries is Rocky Mt.  

Yeah, I was kidding about that. I need to get better with the emojis and whatnot to help communicate intent.
I shy away from them since I asked my wife if she got the Hershey Kiss I sent her and she informed me that it was indeed not a kiss but a pile of excrement...

So back to Jellystone, my bride and I were having breakfast in Gardner, circa 1998, and the nice older couple seated next to us must have felt chatty so I let them know how excited I was at my prospects on a Yellowstone early Elk Opener. There faces lost all expression and they uttered in disbelief “you can’t hunt in the park” and I replied with a mouth full of pancake “pretty sure I can, it’s our park after all”..... then I turned my attention to my coffee and left them hanging a bit. My wife of 5 days let them down gently and they were relieved when she told them I was joking. 

Hey, awesome insight on the culling stoping in the 1960’s. I did not know that. Thank you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HorseHunter said:

Yeah, I was kidding about that. I need to get better with the emojis and whatnot to help communicate intent.
I shy away from them since I asked my wife if she got the Hershey Kiss I sent her and she informed me that it was indeed not a kiss but a pile of excrement...

So back to Jellystone, my bride and I were having breakfast in Gardner, circa 1998, and the nice older couple seated next to us must have felt chatty so I let them know how excited I was at my prospects on a Yellowstone early Elk Opener. There faces lost all expression and they uttered in disbelief “you can’t hunt in the park” and I replied with a mouth full of pancake “pretty sure I can, it’s our park after all”..... then I turned my attention to my coffee and left them hanging a bit. My wife of 5 days let them down gently and they were relieved when she told them I was joking. 

Hey, awesome insight on the culling stoping in the 1960’s. I did not know that. Thank you.

I actually took it more as kiddig but thought I would put more of a reality to it. 😄 

Sleepy Gardner is a nice little town. Before they built the larger motel to the north coming down from Livingston, about the only place to stay was the Town Cafe & Motel. Spent many of night there during my almost annual Sept. photo safaris to the park. It's been at least 20 years since I've been there, and I'm guessing there are a lot more places now.