Sign in to follow this  
SilentButDeadly

lion kill and sheds

I went out this morning to the spot I found the 'Big Mass' shed in January. I haven't been out there in 3-4 months and I wanted to try and find the other side of the Big Mass sheds.

I got out to where I found the big shed and dinked around, after a bit I glassed up a leg bone about 60 yards away, got up to it and noticed that it had LONG dew claws (the kind that only old bucks have!) I got pretty excited and called Briggs over. I let him sniff the leg and said "Where's the Deer!? Where's the Deer!?" he took off sniffing and looking (I trained him to look for deer with a dried Coue's leg, which made this awesome!). We looked for about 20 minutes but couldn't turn up anything.

I pushed us up the canyon to the water tank to see what had been going on around there. To my disbelief there was a shed laying not 15 yards from the tank! When I turned around back toward the tank to look for the other side I saw that I had practically walked over it on the way to the first one! The buck is a nice 3x3 that I guess to be in the mid 80's.

We headed back to the truck down a different ridge, I called my father-in-law Ernie to tell him how excited I was to have found a set of sheds laying next to one another, and BAM! I see Briggs sniffing something in the drain, when I look closer I see that it is a huge wide antlered skull!! I screamed and ran over to him, I was so excited to tell Ernie I forgot to tell Briggs what a good dog he was! The buck is probably the same deer that I saw the day that I found the Big Mass shed. I'd tried to put a stalk on him, I grunted with a tube and got a smaller buck to come in but I never say the Wide buck again.

Anyway, the rack is 16 inches wide on the inside spread, 18 inches on the outside. He has short tines all over so not a big scoring buck. But man is he heavy all the way out. His main beams are 19 and 17 inches. From the looks of his teeth he wasn't all that old. Looks like a lion has moved in on my area <_< hopefully he isn't taking out all the big old boys...

Pictures!:

post-1107-1216311038_thumb.jpg

post-1107-1216311061_thumb.jpg

post-1107-1216311080_thumb.jpg

post-1107-1216311101_thumb.jpg

ps, all of you ATL folks out there can kiss it! I had to leave my camera to make room in my pack for all the bone ;)

Man those are some great finds right there....I hope your hope is right and the lion doesn't take out all of the big bucks!

Phil

I sware. I am going to have to start bringing my dogs with me.

He deserves a big dinner now!

ps, all of you ATL folks out there can kiss it! I had to leave my camera to make room in my pack for all the bone ;)

Ok that's it!!!!!!! I've blocked all your postings from here on out tough guy!!!!!

What does he score????

I'm guessing around 96 gross; he loses alot cuz of his asymmetry, probably nets 91.... His frame is unbelievable though. 17 and 19 inch beams, 16 inch inside spread, 3 1/2 inches of mass all the way out at the 3rd circumference. Its a shame his g2s are only 3 1/2 inches -- same size as his g3s.

T

ps GRONG, I was thinking of you on the way back to the truck -- besides leaving my camera at home I'd left my work phone which has a camera on it in the truck... Ha!

I did not just read the above post........

I did not just read the above post........

Oh come on Josh. Why are you so suprised? Your the man everybody thinks about. And look at it this way he PROBABLE wasn't thinking of you anymore when he pulled out of the area. Josh for President!

Buckhorn

Huh?!?!?! You hittin the crack pipe again Nate? Good grief man, you need to get out of the rafters and out in the woods for once cause you're going batty buddy.

Tyson, stop the madness and start carrying that dang camera!!!!!!