Sign in to follow this  
peckl1

Collared Dove

I had a pair nesting in my back yard. Also, I've seen them while hunting quail around Elfrida.

I just recently found a ton up in the pines on one of my scouting trips. They were everywhere, havent seen em in town yet and it aint worth the trip to shoot em, nor the hike in. and if they taste anything like dove it definately aint worth it.

I just recently found a ton up in the pines on one of my scouting trips. They were everywhere, havent seen em in town yet and it aint worth the trip to shoot em, nor the hike in. and if they taste anything like dove it definately aint worth it.

There is another dove that lives in the pines that looks like these. It's called the band-tailed pigeon. Perhaps those were the doves you saw in a big group? The eurasian collared doves are generally only in developed area (like neighborhoods).

Amanda

Hmm coulda been, they looked near identical to those pictures. Ill have to check it out next time im up and have pictures to show for it. Thanks.

I was hunting dove two years ago and shot one and freaked out when I picked it up. I had to ask a friend if I just shot something I shouldn't have. That's how I learned about them.

I was hunting dove two years ago and shot one and freaked out when I picked it up. I had to ask a friend if I just shot something I shouldn't have. That's how I learned about them.

ill one up ya, not that i mean to. but a few buddies of mine went huntin geese on some land down south. they were shootin canada's and a few white geese when every one swore they saw a ross goose come over, just about everyone unloaded on it. Finally it fell and "bird dog" a friend whos name will be left out, sloshed out to get it. he comes back to everyone sayin "i shot it" "no i did" "NO i did!" you get the picture......so he goes hey yall shot a seagull.......(federally protected)..... it goes to no you shot it, uh uh you did, heck i didnt...... anyway it was a ross but it was a heck of a joke. went right back to no i did, no i did.

yuma is absolutely packed with those ECDs, even quite a few African collared doves showing up. ACDs are even larger than the ECDs with a more splotchy "mocha" pattern on their wings. Amanda, both the ECD and ACD are thought to be hybridizing with turtle doves. This hybridization is an attempt to explain their unusualy color patterns turning up, everthing from oranges, purples, browns, whites, etc...

you guys say they are uranus doves? amanda, they gotta be at least as good as Az. doves. only thing worse is javelina. maybe the uranus javelinas is better. doves are like little livers with wings. i guess if a guy never got to eat quail, they might not be too bad. but dang, we got quail. Lark.

Heck, we are starting to get them up her in Idaho. Thought I was seeing things at first, but the Fish and Game has a page on them in the regulations now. They are much bigger and lighter colored than the regular mourning dove. I've only seen them around town, and not were we hunt. They are legal year round without limits, but you have to keep them feathered to make sure you don't go over limit with the mourning doves.

We've had both band-tailed pigeons and the Eurasian collared doves around our cabin in Greer this summer. A band-tail is eating corn out of one of our squirrel feeders below my loft's window as I write this.

Bill Quimby

We've had both band-tailed pigeons and the Eurasian collared doves around our cabin in Greer this summer. A band-tail is eating corn out of one of our squirrel feeders below my loft's window as I write this.

Bill Quimby

Do you like to eat Dove, Bill? Shoot some of the Eurasian Collared Doves, cook them up and let us know what you think.

Amanda

Bill Quimby

Do you like to eat Dove, Bill? Shoot some of the Eurasian Collared Doves, cook them up and let us know what you think.

Amanda

Sorry, but I stopped shooting doves ten years ago when the people I'd been giving mine to were transferred out of Tucson. I would suspect the meat from a Eureasian collared dove would taste like all the mourning doves, white-winged doves, band-tailed pigeons, barnyard pigeons, and the various doves in Africa that people have talked me into tasting -- simply awful!

I can't stand dark-meated birds, especially doves. Someone on this forum (I think it was Lark) called them liver with wings, and I agree. I don't eat liver, either.

Bill