JasCald02

30-06 Coues Load?

used a .270 130gr last year with great results. using a 30-06 this year. Should I go with 150gr or 165gr or something else? Thanks for the help!

When I was using my 30-06 for coues, I loaded 125 ballistic tips. They did the job, but blew up pretty decent on the shoulder of my first buck at over 400 yards...

I don't reload much anymore, but I use remington premium ammo with 150 grain accutip for deer. It is one of the most accurate loads I have found for my rifle in 30-06, but they are a little more expensive.

I use the 165 light mag sst Horandy with the best result for me. Good Luck

Go back to the .270!!!! ;) :D

I'm guessing Lark would say the same!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the 06, try the 150 gr Swift Scirocco II, Nosler E-Tip, Nosler Accubond to get less recoil, similar trajectory as the heavier 180's, and less worry of short range bombs like you may get with a Ballistic tip or Hornady SST. THe E-Tip has the highest BC of these 150 grainers.

My rifle is sighted in with 165 gr bullets, so I don't departure from them unless I'm hunting something huge like bull elk.

KP

Even if it is 165 grains each bullet will shoot different . You will have to re-sight in with any bullet change no matter the grain.

I will second what RedRabbit said. I think the 150gr Scirocco would be great. I shoot the 180gr from my 300 ultra mag and it is a awesome bullet. Shot my last elk with it at 522 yards. Bullet broke both shoulders, made a perfect mushroom and still weighed 167gr!

Red Rabbit,

Is the '06 a 300 - 350 yard rifle with those loads or should I take the other's advice and strap up with the .270 again?

The whole reason for the switch comes from the fact I traded in my "basically" brand new Remington 700 BDL 300 Ultra Mag for this "actually" brand new Remington 700 BDL 30-06 because I hated the recoil on the 300 ultra mag and I figured than owning a '06 was American as apple pie and as practical as algebra.

The crux of this so called "dilemma" is that I was misinformed that my October landowner's cow tag was a rifle tag. Needless to say I was planning on using my new rifle for it's first cow elk (the cow tag ended up being a muzzle loader tag).

Now I have a brand new rifle with no where to go.......except maybe my Couse hunt........270 or '06......'06 or .270....decisions decisions..... :rolleyes:

Even if it is 165 grains each bullet will shoot different . You will have to re-sight in with any bullet change no matter the grain.

True, but I normally use the same bullet/load for all my big game hunting so I don't need to re-sight in.

KP

Very smart I do the same with my 300 Win Mag. Like you I use 165 accubonds for elk and deer. I do the same with my 7MM Dakota I use 140 Triple Shocks for everything.

06 will for sure at 300+... Hit my first buck at 341 for the first time, and about 430 the second round... And hes on my wall proudly.

Ask the old timers about how far they can shoot the 06' with a military background or a hunting back ground ;)

You just might be amazed.