Sign in to follow this  
coues krazy

treestand

This will be my first year using a treestand. Was wondering what you all think is the minimun height to set it at. I have always still hunted or built ground blinds but want to give treestands a try for my 12a archery hunt. Thanks for any advice and tips. ;)

I usually put my stand at around 12-15ft to the bottom. Any lower and those deer will bust you.

i think this is a tricky question. it depends if you are in a ravine or on a ridge. I f you are on a ridge 15 feet, in a ravine where you are lower I would get way up since the deer walking down will be at eye level walking down to you.

all my ladders are 20 so i guess 23 ft but look for other stands hope your hunt goes well now that there is less people i was there last year did not even hang a stand but saw many and many people hanging stnds right next to each ohter good luck

I was up there last year as well. I saw up to three different treestands on one tank, and every tank had at least one! I had seven days off, but left after three. Just to many people. Opening night there was a steady stream of vehicles coming in all night long. Still to many tags in my opinion but should be better than last year.

Thanks for the treestand tips,now just to find an unoccupied water hole. :o

I get scared at about 8-10 ft...... :( .... so I keep mine really low... That way when I fall out cuz I was sleeping... it does not hurt as bad...... :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There is no such thing as putting a stand too high...... ;)

I set mine at least 15'. But would rather have it 20'. It just depends. Do you have a lot of cover around you to blend you in, is there a tree that you can put a stand more than 15'. What kind of shooting lanes do you have.

I usually go 20 to 25 feet, but as jnobleinaz said, be careful of the terrain around you. It the deer come in from a spot that is the same level or higher than you, they will scent you out. Don't forget to use a harness!

Mark

Guest 300ultramag.

high enuff so when u arrow mr bear he cant eat u... PS those cubs/labradors can climb!

i usually put my stand at least 18 feet up on a saguaro! :blink:

....... and he ain't kiddin either!!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

....... and he ain't kiddin either!!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

Yea you aint a kidding! He was the one who got me sitting at nose bleed levels :unsure:

But you can't argue with his flipping success.