Steve6060al

Tripod-Head Recommendations

Any input is much appreciated.  Planning on splurging on a spotter in the near future (at the moment just have my binos).  I'd like to get the tripod ahead of time since I can just as easily use it with the binos.  Looking around and I don't even know where to start as I don't have too much experience using any brands.

If I'm targeting a total cost somewhere below (up to) $300 what kind of gear do you use or recommend for a tripod-head setup in that range?

Appreciate it! 

On a tight budget $150ish the vanguard 264ao comes with an ok head (or newest version of it).

The slik carbon fiber 634 is very popular with the benro S2 as the head (best value if looking for lightweight imo)

Another good quality budget friendly head is the vanguard ph 111

The best bet would be the Sirui T024SKVA5. It's carbon fiber, weighs 3 Lbs with the head. The head, IMO, is the best fluid head on the market in its price range. Normally we sell this for $299.90, members here can call me at 516-217-1000 and get it for $259.99

Here is the link to see the tripod set

https://cameralandny.com/shop/sirui-t-024sk-compact-tripod-with-va-5-fluid-head/1d046d00-4a86-0137-4014-00163ecd2826?variation=1947226

Joel

Camera Land

516-217-1000

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cameraland said:

The best bet would be the Sirui T024SKVA5. It's carbon fiber, weighs 3 Lbs with the head. The head, IMO, is the best fluid head on the market in its price range. Normally we sell this for $299.90, members here can call me at 516-217-1000 and get it for $259.99

Here is the link to see the tripod set

https://cameralandny.com/shop/sirui-t-024sk-compact-tripod-with-va-5-fluid-head/1d046d00-4a86-0137-4014-00163ecd2826?variation=1947226

Joel

Camera Land

516-217-1000

Joel,

What is the max height on this? It says 12.7 but I don't know what units that is.

Thanks and Happy New Years to everyone at Camera Land.

That tripod Doug @ cameraland recommended is top notch imo.  The VA-5 head is pretty stellar for a small head and the tripod is very lightweight.  I run this as my pack in tripod and love it.  If you are looking for a larger tripod to stand up, go with a manfrotto 190 or the carbon version with the 700 Rc2 or 128 heads.  They are rock solid. 

1 hour ago, HuntHarder said:

That tripod Doug @ cameraland recommended is top notch imo.  The VA-5 head is pretty stellar for a small head and the tripod is very lightweight.  I run this as my pack in tripod and love it.  If you are looking for a larger tripod to stand up, go with a manfrotto 190 or the carbon version with the 700 Rc2 or 128 heads.  They are rock solid. 

What is the max height on it?

This is Joel, Doug's brother. I run the photo side and handle the tripods. 

The Sirui T024SKVA5 goes to 55" plus the head so 59" with the head. Also add on a tripod adapter or the bottom of the spotter. Angled spotters can add as much as 7-9" to the top of the head

While the Manfrotto 700RC2 is a nice head under $100. It is not arca Swiss, does not have a spring in it and only has a 1 year warranty, not 6 years like the Sirui. In the under $100 price point, the best valuye is the Promaster SPCH20, normally $89.99, members here pay $69.99 and we give a lifetime no fault warranty and it is also Arca swiss.

Their N series goes to 66 or 68" with a head on it. I will be doing a year end tripod clearance post shortly for the forums with bigger then normal savings on a good cross section of tripods. It will be up this morning

Call me with any questions

Joel

Camera Land

516-217-1000

On 1/6/2021 at 9:13 AM, Steve6060al said:

Any input is much appreciated.  Planning on splurging on a spotter in the near future (at the moment just have my binos).  I'd like to get the tripod ahead of time since I can just as easily use it with the binos.  Looking around and I don't even know where to start as I don't have too much experience using any brands.

If I'm targeting a total cost somewhere below (up to) $300 what kind of gear do you use or recommend for a tripod-head setup in that range?

Appreciate it! 

Someone just posted a good combo deal in the classifieds. Slik 634

The best bet would be the Sirui T024SKVA5. It's carbon fiber, weighs 3 Lbs with the head. The head, IMO, is the best fluid head on the market in its price range. Normally we sell this for $299.90, members here can call me at 516-217-1000 and get it for $239.99 thru 1/15/21. Call us and mention the forum. Happy to answer your questions

Joel

516-217-1000

35 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Someone just posted a good combo deal in the classifieds. Slik 634

Jumped in on that.  Thanks for the heads up, and appreciate the info from all you guys.