tyler1215

A couple newbie questions

I've been trying to get out for spring turkey many years now. Finally this spring I'll be going out and have a couple questions.  Do electric calls work? Are decoys a requirement? What part of the hunt is considered better? Thanks for any input

The best part of the hunt is when you get one! LOL! Couldn't resist that! Turkeys aren't like a lot of other big game hunt's. The first two days or the last two days of the hunt are just as successful. I think that's you're asking? Decoys and a mouth call are best chance of harvest! I forgot weather is next best thing! Good luck! 

The areas I’ve hunted they seem to be more vocal and active the earlier part of the season. Youth hunt before the regular season seems to be the best activity. 

Yes electronic calls are legal, I have used a foxpro and it works really good. Decoys are awesome but the can tie you down to one spot if you have to move. Beginning of hunt can be great when they are talking, when they are not talking it’s tough. Later in the hunt is always the best because when the hens start laying the Tom gets lonely and is ready to mate. So they can easily be called in.