Sign in to follow this  
bearbait

Anyone shoot a bear yet?

I heard that 4 bears have been harvested in 23 already but the unit is still open, so at least 2 of them must have been males. Did anyone here harvest a bear? If so, lets hear the story and see some pics!

Coueschasser3 and I left Sat. night and got to our camp spot at 3am and set up the tent and unloaed the truck. But no time for sleep, so we headed down the road a bit to an old mine trail and hiked it around the mountain passed two old mines and keep going about a 1/4 mile to a rock cliff. So we got up on top of it to glass a huge canyon. Tim (coueschasser3) went down the ledge a bit and to a different vantage point while I stayed on top. The first thing I glassed up was what could have only been a solid black bear, not a rock, not a cave, not a shadow, not a burnt piece of wood...but after watching it from about 2000yards away for a hour and it never ever moved...well, im not sure what it was now, unless it was dead???? So I moved 20 ft behind me and to my left facing the mine trail we just walked to glass closer hill sides and canyons, leaving my pack and rifle 20ft. away!! After about 20min. of glassing I hear a noise, think it was my own feet on the rock shelf, but seconds later I heard it again and pin pointed it out and away from me. So I looked town the mine trail and a huge lion was walking the trail right to me at 150 yards. She seemed to just be casully walking down the train, not tracking out scent. She got all the way to the cliff where I was and could either go down the canyon or up the hill side. She took one leap and jumped up the 25ft hill side at eye level with me now and 20yards away. With me not knowing if she would get any closer I decided it might be a good idea to have my rifle with me, so I stood up and ran to my pack 20ft away. When I stood, thats when she saw me and just watched me for 10 seconds and slowly jogged up the rest of the mountain. Lesson learned!! NEVER HAVE YOU CAMERA AND RIFLE MORE THAN A ARMS LENGTH AWAY!!! :lol:

20 minutes later Tim came back up and told him the story. I also pointed out where that bear was, or at least think is a bear. He glassed it up and thought the same thing, but it still hasn't moved. Later on the same mountain side as the bear, Tim glassed up a real old male Coati that was almost completly white.

The next day we decided to go to Mt. Ord where we meet 2 guys looking for one of their hounds that they lost on Monday chassing lions, so if anyone goes up there and finds a dog, let either I or Coueschasser3 know and we'll give you the guys number to call.

All in all, it was a fun trip!!

Here is the pic I TRIED to take, but again, the 2.5sec delay might mean she isn't in the pic at all...anyone see her???

post-2570-1218030297_thumb.jpg

i missed a bear in 23 on sunday morning...he was a loooong ways off though

The dog is a walker hound FYI.

I think she is some where to the right of the 2 century plants going up to the left side of the rock cliffs??????

there was at least 8 bears harvested statewide this weekend, at least one of them was a younger male harvested from 23 on sunday

I know of 4 males killed in units 1 and 3B as of saturday night. These are what the warden acually checked by then. No females reported at that time.

Kent

I don't see a lion but I see a bear you might have missed. it I put a circle around it to help everyone else see it. It looks like he is trying to tell you something:)

post-346-1218051922_thumb.jpg

That red circle really makes the image easy to see....... :o

I need to change all the reticles in my scopes.....

Nice mature bear right there. Thanks for sharing! :(

TJ

Hear is a picture of the bear I got last year in unit 29.

That is a nice bear? How was the coat, what it all black? It looks like the back end has some reddish tint to it, or is that just blood?

That is a nice bear? How was the coat, what it all black? It looks like the back end has some reddish tint to it, or is that just blood?

When the sunlight hit the coat you could see a little bit of red, but I consider him all black.

A friend of mine told me his friend called one in around Giesela and shot it Sat. I went Fri and Sun but No luck just saw a few Bucks and some quail.

That's a very nice looking bear there Triple Seven. Lets hear the sory. Did you glass him up, call him in, use hounds, etc.?

-Tracy

yeah i would like to hear the sory too!

If its a story you have. I think i might just pass.

Gr8 wht jr... is that swahili ?????????????????????????????