Sign in to follow this  
awoltoday

Arizona 24K/7.5' topographic maps on the Garmin units

Apparently, this hadn't been posted here before. I thought I had read it HERE. But, that's not the case and I can't find any reference to it by searching. SO, if you have a Garmin Mapping GPS and would like 24k/7.5' topo maps on your GPS.... Here it is! I had them installed on my OLD EMap before I dropped it and shattered the LCD. It is really nice to have that kind of detail on the GPS. The best part is that it costs nothing ... unless you would like to donate to the cause.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/1

It's pretty easy to use and install. You download and install the mapset (on the same computer where you have mapsource installed). Then you use mapsouce to pick the maps you want to install on your GPS - the same process as downloading Garmin Topo/Metroguide/etc maps. Then download to your GPS. That's it.

az_compare.jpg

Oh I'd love to see how easy that works on a 60cSX.. (hint... hint... Ron)

Let me know.

cmc

Awol,

Thanks for the map link! I got it working on my gps. Not too difficult and I like the better resolution.

Here is a link that shows how to toggle back and forth between the Garmin Mapsource Topo maps and the 24k maps on your gps:

http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_mapset.html

CMC, I think even you ought to be able to figure it out! :P :ph34r:

I did this on my garmin etrex legend and it worked great. Had do play with the program for a bit but i got it to work. My garmin only has 8 mb of memory so i was only able to put two sections on the gps.

I have the Garmin legend Cx. I am using garmins Bobcat program for mac. I was able to get every thing working on the computer but I can't get the maps to load???? :unsure: Just the waypoints off the 24k/7.5' transfer. No Maps, and I have it selected to transfer map too. :( anyone else have this problem.... :wacko:

I have the Garmin legend Cx. I am using garmins Bobcat program for mac. I was able to get every thing working on the computer but I can't get the maps to load???? :unsure: Just the waypoints off the 24k/7.5' transfer. No Maps, and I have it selected to transfer map too. :( anyone else have this problem.... :wacko:

Are you getting an error message when trying to upload the maps, or does it tell you the upload was successful but the maps don't show up on your gps?

If it is the latter, there should be a menu to toggle between the Garmin maps and the AZ Topo maps.

Make sure your card is big enough also, but you should get an error message up front if that is the problem.

Hope that helps some...

Are you getting an error message when trying to upload the maps, or does it tell you the upload was successful but the maps don't show up on your gps?

If it is the latter, there should be a menu to toggle between the Garmin maps and the AZ Topo maps.

Make sure your card is big enough also, but you should get an error message up front if that is the problem.

Hope that helps some...

No error messages. But I cant select any maps. I think I need Mapsource for mac. I think bobcat only lets you download waypoints, I need to find find mapsource for mac.

Hope that helps some...

No error messages. But I cant select any maps. I think I need Mapsource for mac. I think bobcat only lets you download waypoints, I need to find find mapsource for mac.

Looks like you need mapinstall? I can't find anything where mapsource will run on a mac.

http://www.garmin.com/macosx/

Very cool. I just need time to play with.

I love my GPS, map software and google earth. It saves a lot of time, gas and has increased my success.

Thanks for sharing

Dan

I can download the map files and I have mapsource for windows on my computer, but when I try to open the mapfiles I get an error that they are not valid Mapsource files and they don't automatically download into mapsource. Any thoughts?