Sign in to follow this  
ultramag

7mm rem ultra mag

do any of you guys hunt with a 7mm ultramag,it seem that it is not that popular ,ive got one and love it, but have a hard time finding ammo,even federal dont make anything for it,anybody no why its not that popular? besides the brutal recoil

my dad has one and i like it a lot. shoots flat and knocks the piss outta ya. try reloadin for it. my dad is gonna put a new scope on it(he has a simmons on it now :) and it sucks but when we get a new one it will shoot well.

The 7mm Ultra Mag is considerably over bore capacity for the caliber--that is, the case holds significantly more powder than can be burned in a barrel of reasonable length. In addition to being inefficient and expensive to shoot or load for, the large volume/weight of powder that is expelled every time you pull the trigger ensures that you get a solid thump on the back end, as well.

You can buy ammo by mail from one of the large suppliers (like Cabela's or Lock, Stock and Barrel), but will have to pay a hazardous material shipping fee. So if you opt to buy factory ammo that way, you should order 5 or so boxes at a time.

As the previous post noted, you can always handload for it. If you are not alreaday set up to load ammo, though, it will take a few years to ammortize the cost of getting set up with a press, scale, dies and the other paraphernalia that you will need. The cheapest way to start is with Lyman hand tools, but I doubt that they would work that well with such a large case.

Good luck!

I have one as well. It is hard on the shoulder and the wallet, but is well worth it. If you add a muzzle brake it really tames the beast.

YOU KNOW IT BOILS DOWN TO WHAT YOU LIKE, AND CAN YOU SHOOT IT WELL.

SHORT :D STORIE,MET AGROUP OF KIDS FROM OHIO ON A MULE DEER HUNT IN MONTANA. THRERE IN THE MID TO LATE 20' S, GREW UP TOGETHER THEY ALL SHOOT 7MM ULTRA WITH 6.5X20 LEUPOLDS. KNOW WHAT THE KICKER IS A LITTLE GIRL 100 LBS MAYBE WET SHOOTS THIS CALIBER VERY WELL NO BREAK, REM 700 STAINLESS SYN.

I have ordered a lot of ammo from Cabelas without paying a HazMat fee. I think that only applies to loose powder.

Factory ammo is real limited in choice(what is it-2 different loadings?), and seems like a handloading proposition. I must wonder about the future of this chambering, in addition to Remington's SAUM.

A couple of years ago, I considered the 7mm RUM for a coues gun, but decided the 10% more velocity for 40% more powder than the 7 Rem Mag I already had was not worth it.

Doug/RedRabbit

my dads rifle shoots the 140 grain remingtons well. we are going to start reloading this soon with 140 grain hornady accubonds as my 270 and 30-06 shoot this bullet very well. the only thing is we do not know how much powder to use in this casing, any suggestions? doug? o btw doug, how was the rest of the quail hunt?

Casey,

Hodgden powder has some data published on the web.

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/7mmremulmag.php#top

IMR data

http://www.imrpowder.com/data/rifle/7remultra.php

Stevespages.com has data compiled, but no velocities are listed.

http://stevespages.com/284_27.html

My Nosler#5 manual has no data.

Doug/RedRabbit