azcouesandelk

Dad's First Coues

My dad a 28 year Arizona resident went on his 10th coues hunt this weekend. He was finally successful. I would like to say that scouting really is the key to being successful. We woke up Friday morning at 3:45 and made breakfast and packed our lunches. We left camp at 4:10 and drove to our parking spot and arrived there about 4:45 and got up on our perch by 5:15 (the fastest we have ever made it there by 10 minutes). So now we get setup and wait for the sun to start to come up. I start to glass at 6:05 and my dad locates 2 does on a hill at 6:20. I continue to pick apart the small fingers and locate a small spike at 6:25. I continue to pick apart the same finger thinking there will be more buck and locate 2 other buck at 6:30. My dad said he would shoot anything that was a fork or larger. Both of these bucks were forks. He made the stalk from 500 yards down to 200 yards. He made the 200 yard shot with is 25-06 shooting 100 nosler ballistic tips. The buck ran 10 yards before dropping. This is his first coues buck and he is thrilled about it. This buck is entered in the big buck contest and gross scores at 53 3/8. Not a monster by any means but we are both very proud of this buck.

Here is a picture of the spot where the bucks were spotted.

Copyof000_0009.jpg

Here is a picture of my dad laying next to his buck replaying the whole thing in his mind.

CopyofPA260001.jpg

Here is a picture of my dad and his buck

CopyofPA260007.jpg

Here is a picture my dad and I with his buck

CopyofPA260015.jpg

I also would like to thank everybody for there help. I couldn't have done it without everybody on the forum.

Thanks guys. Thought I would post one more picture that confuses me. I mean I find the bucks, he shoots a buck and I have to pack it out. Luckily I only had a mile hike out but my pack weighed in right at 90 pounds.

PA260019.jpg

Also my new eberlestock j104 pack is awesome. Just had to say that.

Awesome!! Thanks for letting us share all the excitment and congrats to your dad on his wonderful buck!

Great photos and thanks for the habitat shot with the arrows showing where they were. Cool...

Want me to post the pics in the main photogallery? If so, tell me your dad's name so I can put that in. You can PM me if you want.

Amanda

congrats on the success...glad to see your dad tagged out....scouting is definetely a key to success....all your scouting paid off...you were always posting about going scouting for the weekend...look what it turned into...SUCCESS.... :D ...awesome to see man....

Way to go ! Nice job- I have the December hunt in 36b and can't wait to get down there!

Doug

AzP&Y

Congratulations to you both and those are great pics. I can bet that your Dad was just as happy to be hunting with you and the Deer was just icing on the cake and you shouldn't be confused,, thats what we have kids for. Pack'n out stuff for us. Jim

Way to go. Looks like all your trips paid off for you. This is the best time of year when all the photos start rolling in. And yess great photo of the lay of the land and the pointer to tell us the spot you saw Bucks. It may help people to decide spots on the hill sides to glass.

Christian,

Congrats to you and your father on a hunt you will both always remember ;)

Looks like you got some good use outta that Eberlestock pack. How bout a report.

Oh and by the way I'm 45 and I'm still packin out critters for the Old Man and loving every minute of it.

Congrats to your Dad on his successful coues hunt.Great pics and you just know that your job is to pack it out for o'l Dad. :D

Congratulations to your dad for sure on finally bustin into the successful coues hunter club.

Thanks for the first class pics and story.

Guest Ernesto C

Heehaawww way to go baby!! Nothing makes more happy than seeing other people happy. Definetly a hunt to remember. Congratulations and God bless you guys more.

Ernesto C