Sign in to follow this  
trophyhntr

Sheds

some will take them from you. i was with an old judge and found a head. we hung it in a tree because it still had skin and hair. his wife slipped to the neighbor who call the boys in brown who mad us take them to the tree, then the elks body, and ended up confiscating the head because we didn't call before. wasn't a huge elk but a good five and im sure that officer has it on his wall now. but i've also packed out a whole head and had an officer stop and talk and not even mention the head. best thing is not to tell them.

• Like 1

I once found a dead head 6x6 300 class bull which I tried to do the right thing and reported it to the G&F, game him the coordinates and he actually took the time to hike 2 miles into the wilderness to check it out, when he got there someone had already removed the head, and he found no evidence of foul play, now I remove them and beg for forgiveness if necessary....

I am pretty sure that in N.M. the horns CANNOT be attatched to a skull to be able to walk off with them.

You are right on the money: found this on line for NM

TITLE 19 NATURAL RESOURCES AND WILDLIFE

CHAPTER 31 HUNTING AND FISHING

PART 10 HUNTING AND FISHING-MANNER AND METHOD OF TAKING

E. Possession of game animal parts found in the field: It shall be unlawful to possess heads,

horns, or antlers of protected species found in the field without invoice or permit from the department of game and

fish, with the exception of obviously shed antlers.

[19.31.10.9 NMAC - Rp, 19.31.10.9 NMAC, 4-1-2007]

I dont think a bleached out skull and horns are going to be that much of a problem. From most G&F guys unless they are dicks or you give them reason for concern/ to think otherwise

I think the problem will be more of a nice 1-2 month old deadhead thats still brown. reason is they think someone shot it and planned on coming back later and pick it up ie intent. Back in the 90s that was a rumor going around people shooting stuff in dec and picking them up in feb in unit 6a. Same thing up in units 12b and 13's cause its in the middle of nowhere.

Ive done a ton of varmit hunting in those units from dec to march and never ran across a dead head.and I do a ton of walking I found maybe 2 during the deer hunts that were bleached out.

My kid on the other had found more in 3 years than I have found in 30 years.

My buddy and I were hunting(he went along for the ride) in 94 unit 12a, I had gotten drawn again, I had a tag in 93 and shot a very nice 30" plus deer. we had 6 people looking for it for 3-4 days I went up every weekend for a couple of months. never found it. I was sick over it and obsessed with finding it.

25 yard shot too. witnessed by me my Pregnant wife her friend a New mexico G&F guy and his buddy(that happend to see it when I was shooting it) with the same tag. My dad and his buddy came too help use find it(4 of us got drawn 2 from out of state)

The next year with my buddy I am hunting the same spot he is just along for the ride. showed him were I shot it and where we last saw it. he was walking back to the truck and looked over the cliff there it was sitting in the top of a scrub oak 20 feet down. the deer instead of going up the hill like I thought we saw him do JUMPED over the cliff. The rack was stuck in the tree, he saw the white bones at the bottom and then the rack in the tree and started yelling for me.

last I saw the rack it was sitting on his coffee table at his apartment. 1st time he ever went out hunting let alone walked in the woods and 2k wouldn't even buy it back from him or even threatening to fire him ;)

I didnt even know about this rule until I read it on here a while ago. do I care? yes if its a brown I will call someone, still going to take it and take alot of pics and mark location, if its bleached I am taking pics and packing it out and be done with it.

yeah I saw that this morning also. for some reason last night it came over as a new thread on my pc, or I did a stupid and just clicked the wrong button.

I never looked at the date

I dont think a bleached out skull and horns are going to be that much of a problem. From most G&F guys unless they are dicks or you give them reason for concern/ to think otherwise

I think the problem will be more of a nice 1-2 month old deadhead thats still brown. reason is they think someone shot it and planned on coming back later and pick it up ie intent. Back in the 90s that was a rumor going around people shooting stuff in dec and picking them up in feb in unit 6a. Same thing up in units 12b and 13's cause its in the middle of nowhere.

Ive done a ton of varmit hunting in those units from dec to march and never ran across a dead head.and I do a ton of walking I found maybe 2 during the deer hunts that were bleached out.

My kid on the other had found more in 3 years than I have found in 30 years.

My buddy and I were hunting(he went along for the ride) in 94 unit 12a, I had gotten drawn again, I had a tag in 93 and shot a very nice 30" plus deer. we had 6 people looking for it for 3-4 days I went up every weekend for a couple of months. never found it. I was sick over it and obsessed with finding it.

25 yard shot too. witnessed by me my Pregnant wife her friend a New mexico G&F guy and his buddy(that happend to see it when I was shooting it) with the same tag. My dad and his buddy came too help use find it(4 of us got drawn 2 from out of state)

The next year with my buddy I am hunting the same spot he is just along for the ride. showed him were I shot it and where we last saw it. he was walking back to the truck and looked over the cliff there it was sitting in the top of a scrub oak 20 feet down. the deer instead of going up the hill like I thought we saw him do JUMPED over the cliff. The rack was stuck in the tree, he saw the white bones at the bottom and then the rack in the tree and started yelling for me.

last I saw the rack it was sitting on his coffee table at his apartment. 1st time he ever went out hunting let alone walked in the woods and 2k wouldn't even buy it back from him or even threatening to fire him ;)

I didnt even know about this rule until I read it on here a while ago. do I care? yes if its a brown I will call someone, still going to take it and take alot of pics and mark location, if its bleached I am taking pics and packing it out and be done with it.

post a pic of that big buck

So from now on whenever I'm out, if I'm below a cliff, I'm going to be looking in the tops of trees lol

yeah I saw that this morning also. for some reason last night it came over as a new thread on my pc, or I did a stupid and just clicked the wrong button.

I never looked at the date

Dont have any and I wish I did. didnt have a digital one back then.

I know the guy used to work for fortner and gifford in prescott back in 93 so did his wife. hadnt seen him since I left in 95

you know whats sad. I just tried to think of anyone who saw it (didnt know the NM guys) My father passed away and so did his buddy, My wifes friend moved out of state and lost touch, the guys at randalls "Big Dave" passed away too he knew about it wow talk about a bad trip down memory lane. I shot it with a smith and wesson 25-06 rifle I bought from his personal collection he was a very close friend of mine.

so your going to have to take my word on that one ;)

or I might get lucky and theres a before picture somewhere on my 30+ rolls of film I am still getting developed which reminds me I need to drop a few rolls off. (yup had them that long in the fridge. and surprisingly a few rolls turned out not terribly bad) we should have some really cool pics of stuff on VHS and film cameras

You don't still have the rack?

No read the bottom paragraph post 20. he wouldnt let me have it. even offered him a ton of money even threaten to fire him and his wife ( j/king of course) he found it his words were "finders keepers,"

but if it helps any

heres approx where I shot it. Ive been hunting that same area from 82-96 both archery and rifle, taken some decent bucks but nothing really nice. I backpacks and drycamped everyone of those fingers/ridges in that area both both east and west of the old cabin that used to be at the end of a road.seen some monster deer and one elk. one of my best calling spots in that area too for varmits.

36°35'4.32"N

112°30'40.13"W

I remember seeing it on the side of the hill, shot it thing fell down. pregnant Wife ran up to it with in a few yards it got back up. so shes yelling shoot it shoot it and she ducks behind a tree. I shoot it in the neck again.

we wife swore it went up the hills, everyone else said no way down the hill. very little blood showing up the hill then disappeared did take a chunk of meat and fure out of its neck, wife found that where I shot it the second time.. was shooting hot loads out of a 25-06 with game kings. I screwed up. loads didnt expand they were too hot and fast to have a chance because I choose a neck shot. I remember walking on the edge of a decent side rock cliff looking for it.never even thought to look over the edge straight down.

only big game animal I ever wounded with a gun. I personally think it was running/staggering and slipped of the rimrock or was running folded up and slide off it. "

Your SGK expanded just fine....

No room for error in a neck shot. Better hit bone which you didn't or you'd have a dead critter with a cup and core bullet...

SGKs open fantastic at high velocity. My .25-06AI used to love the 117 SGK @ 3500fps, game hated them. I now shoot 115 HVLDs though.