Dan H

Microsheds

I think I might be holding onto the number four spot, but it's hard to tell. Good thread! :lol:

DSCN0105.jpg

This one was found up in 32 last year, and thanks to Redman for pointing us into the area the night before. It was a steep hill, and was laying right out in the open. Although I must admit that the only reason we found it was because we were sucking wind so hard. :angry:

what about "who shot the smallest buck?" if anyone wants to talk about that?

Here's my smallest, from last year. It was tough hunting and glassed up this buck right up against a tree, he had fairly decent bases and that was all I could see since most of his head was hidden so I decided to take him. It was a tough angle while he was facing towards me, with a solid rest I was able to place my shot right into the base of his neck at 238 yrds, and exited out of his last rib bone, I walked up to him and witnessed a HUGE ground shrinkage but heck i took his nasty genes off the mountain. Game and Fish aged him at 3 1/2 yrs and I wouldn't bother measuring him up

pict1035.jpg

shuttle012.jpg

That's awesome!

Hey Elkhunter

Now i do not feel to bad posting my little buck from last year. I see all these guys with these huge coues and think WOW! I have seen big bucks but just never had a chance to connect with one.But this was the first buck I was able to take with my son with me so it was a memorable buck for me. Well with a little art work I don't feel so bad LOL!!!!!!!!!!

post-1013-1154839932.jpg

the story's great....i can barely see the rack when it's sitting on my shelf though! It's the "grey ghost" of antlers!

Is it just me, or are the antlers coming out too far to the sides of his head? Looks like there is too much room between the pedicles? Looks like that deer has a huge body on it also! I love bucks with character, even if they have small antlers! JIM>

Hey Bownut, undo that beard and eyebrows and show that pic off! Coues are awesome no matter what they score, and we want to see em' all! JIM>

OK COOSEFAN,

If any of my EX'S try to contact me it is your fault!LOL!

post-1013-1154841466.jpg

Thats awesome! If you want, you can get a photoshop program on your computer and make that buck however big you want it too be.......I modified one of my last bucks and turned him into my dream buck! I'm still proud of every buck, big or small, that I've taken and that is all that matters! JIM>

I've been reading this board for a couple of years now and have never posted. This topic about smallest sheds and coues kills has my attention. My first coues was in the early 80's. A fine cool morning (Sunday). I was sleeping in because the previous days assault on Montana peak had done in my legs. About 9:30 I took a stroll with my rifle, small shovel, and a roll of anti-skid paper. Doing my business I watched 2 coyotes cross a ridge about 600 yards away. After finishing my business, I went to check them out. Putting the glass on them, they turned into 2 whitetail does. As they came closer I realized one of them, then both appeared to be spikes. I moved closer and found a rest, picked out the one with the biggest body (LOL), and sqeezed off a shot. He looked around and kept eating, so, I shot again. This time he took a couple of steps and ate some more. So, I took a 4th shot. This time he stumbled and went down. His buddy (the one with the small rack) just looked on. When I got to him I discovered that I hadn't been missing him at all. I could put my hand over all 4 holes in his chest. I tagged him and was disappointed to see that the tag was wider than the length of the spikes. Just as well though because there would have been nothing to keep the old metal band from sliding off. At home I took a hacksaw and removed the skull cap with antlers. It took maybe a week

to dry out sufficiently for me to show it off. Friends would ask, "did you get your buck this year"?

I would just smile and proudly ask, wanna see the rack? I'd then remove it from the hip pocket of my Levi's

and show off my first ever Coues, the desert ghost.

No, I don't have pictures!

EBB

Guest Ernesto C

Hey EBB,cool story my friend!! do you happen to be related to Casey (firstcoues was 80)? ;)

been meaning to post this little guy,

I found him last month under a bush... thought it was a bit of bone before I picked it up.

Tyson

post-1107-1179156994_thumb.jpg

Elkhunter, I shot one smaller than yours. I don't want to sound like I'm bregging and God forbid I take away from your story but It's a fact. I still get hate mail. :lol: :lol: I to this day don't know how some of my hunting partners can remember back that far but they always seem to know when to bring it up around a perfectly good camp fire. They seemed to have forgotten how good it tasted as I fed everyone that night. You can't eat the horns and that was a great shot you made at 280 plus. You've got to score it for the books.I hope the deductions don't put it in the minus category. :lol: :lol: :lol: Stay proud! ;)

here is the smallest 4-5 point elk shed I ever did see at 14 inches.

picked it up last year up near stoneman lake.

Cody.jpg