Sign in to follow this  
AverageJoe

IDAHO???

Starting my planning of going to hunt Idaho for elk next year or the year after. I have never been to Idaho and have no idea where to go other than through research of their website. Anyone here ever been to Idaho to hunt elk in Sept that can give me any advice?

I was born in Pocatello and lived in Rexburg for 3 years. I only ever hunted the east side of the state. Tags are divided up by zone and then you buy an A toag or B tag for that zone. A tags in most units give you the month of Sept to hunt any elk with your bow and then a Nov. season to rifle hunt cows for anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. B tags give a 2 week cow/spike archery season in Sept and then one week to hunt bulls with your rifle in Oct. Island Park is set up slightly different with the A/B seasons and I don't remember exactly what their seasons were. Units 66, 69 and 66a were the hot tickets when I ws there a 4-5 years ago. Those units fall in the Tex Creek and Diamond Creek zones, but youhave to pick one or the other. The Isalnd Park zone can be productive and provides a lot back country but the opportunities are more limited. There will be plenty of folks out hunting so it can get a bit crowded and the rut is nothing like it is here, not by a long shot. But its hunting, you can count on it every year, and there is lots of wide open space. Good luck and let me know if you move forward.

I am moving to northern Nevada in 5 months and have also been looking at the Idaho hunts. Thanks for the topic and the posts, great info!

I've heard the same thing from my buddy that owns a home in Idaho that the wolves are having their way with the elk herds and the numbers are declining significantly........elk that is!

I have heard that about the wolves. For that reason and a few others i was looking into units 22 and 23 which are near hells canyon wilderness. Supposedly not as many wolves there, decent success rate, and not as popular with hunters as other areas, due to the rugged terrain i would guess. Anyone know that area at all?

Definitely the further South you go the fewer wolves there are. But typically there are fewer elk as well. I never hunted Hells Gate, but be warned, there is steep and then there is Idaho steep. Some of that country is just nasty.