Heat

Texas Hog Hunt - Who Wants to Go?

Some of us here have been doing some talking about a Texas Hog Hunt. This thread is intended to see who might want to go. So far there are 4 of us (BigBrowns, SEAZCoues, Desert Bull, & Heat) that have shown some interest. The idea of a group hunt is to enjoy some time in the outdoors with some new friends and pool resources for driving and gas to Texas. Also, everyone will have some different ideas and hopefully some good places to recommend or think about.

Who is seriously interested in doing this? Once we have a good number of folks in mind, maybe we can narrow down a time frame and then maybe figure out which place? Open for any other ideas or suggestions! I will volunteer my 1/2 ton extra cab truck for the trip.

Who's in?

Nick

• Like 2

Are you guys planning on going to a ranch or hunt public land? A hog hunt is something I've been looking into recently.... B)

• Like 1

Probably a ranch unless someone knows of a great public land place to hunt. Unfortunately Texas has nowhere near the amount of public land as a percentage as Arizona does.

Ok got it! I've been reading up on it and a lot of people on different forums say that public land hunting is good (and a lot cheaper) for taking pigs. That's if you know where to go, which in my case I DON'T haha.

• Like 1

Texas does not have a lot of public land. Your best bet will be a ranch. They move mostly at night. Night hunting is allowed in Texas for hogs. Ask the rancher about type of equipment you may need such as a light with red lenses etc. I took this one about 30 min before dark. Good luck!

post-13033-0-84150700-1419012133_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My one caveat for me is that it is not a fenced operation. I have no interest personally in shooting animals that are intentionally fenced in for hunting purposes. That is just my opinion and does not mean I look down on anyone who participates in fenced hunts. They are just not for me. Hope this does not open a can of worms that takes us off topic!

• Like 1

Mine was low fenced too. Texas is over run with hogs! The high fenced places charge more, too. There are plenty of low fenced areas with great hog populations. Look south of San Antonio.

• Like 1

Pretty sure most of us are leaning very heavily towards a free range hunt.

Late spring or early summer was what I was thinking, that works for Desert Bull also. I won't be able to break away until April at the earliest.

• Like 1

I started to look at a few places this year and stopped as my parentd got real sick. I have a buddy I was going to do this with.

some texas hog hunts.

http://www.my-ranch.com/index.html

http://www.4pinesranch.net/Aoudad-Hunting.html

Prices I have seen are 300.00 and up for 1 hog. Some in california near Paso Robles (near wineries) are 350.00 per hog.