Heat

Texas Hog Hunt - Who Wants to Go?

On the California note, I talked to the Wildlife Manager at the Tejon Ranch in California this morning. They are still running the Wild Pig Management Hunts there. They will take groups of 8-12 anytime during the year pretty much. I won't rule this option out, but seems really expensive compared to Texas, especially if we can get a group to split fuel costs, which still continues to drop as we speak.

I've been putting feelers out on a couple of the Texas sites. One guy PM'd me with this offer. Probably one of the best offers I have so far:

"Hey, I haven't started booking hunts yet, but thought I would give you a heads up on our operation. Me and my brothers do hog hunts, usually starting the first weekend in Feb and run thru around June. We hunt on 750+ acres, all Sabine River bottom in Panola Co., just outside of Carthage. We run 10 feeders with stands. Gun or bow. We don't have lights over the feeders, since being the hogs will come in during daylight hours. In the 5 years of doing these hunts, only 2 hogs have been killed after dark. The rest are shot in the early morning or that afternoon. We don't provide lodging or meals but welcome to camp on site which is all primitive. This is what 90% of our hunters do. Hunts start on Fri afternoon/evening till noon that Sun. The price is $125 for the entire hunt and no limits on hogs and all varmints included. Kids 16 and under are free with paying adult. Limit one per adult. Other words, you bring 2 kids, only one is free unless there is another paying adult. A group of 4 can have the whole place to themselves, but like to keep it no more than 6. That way we can rotate stands out. We pretty much show you all the stands, let you know which ones may be the best for that weekend and turn you loose. Welcome to bring a 4 wheeler since some stands require it. If not, we will get you to and from those stands. Most of the stands are very easy to access by vehicle. We did not conduct any hunts last year due to the low numbers on hogs, being that we went 2 years in a row of no acorn crop. This year we had a bumper crop and the hogs are moving back in. This is all free range and as wild as a hog can get. Just let me know if interested or have any other questions."

Here's another pretty good one:

"Adults $175 a weekend kids hunt free with parent. or $75 a day during the week. My private ranch, no lodging on site but have access to a hunters lodge nearby. Or I have electricity and camp site. Pigs out my ears, I offer guided deer hunts as well and offer these hunts to thin out the hogs. Blinds and feeders gun or bow stands, feeders all have green kill lights. No kill fees." "It's in Fisher county NW of Hamlin about 12 miles. 640 acres. bow or gun, no limits."

And another:

"I have 9,000 acres in Victoria, all low fence. 38 blinds and feeders. Very high success rate. Lodging and food included for a full 48 hours. $500 per person. Shot opportunity guaranteed. Nice lodge and awesome meals. Guided, and care of game."

I'm getting excited!!!!!! Who's going to massage my feet at night:)

Adam

• Like 1

I'm getting excited!!!!!! Who's going to massage my feet at night:)

Adam

Well, I waaaas interested... now? Not so much. ;)

• Like 2

No kidding. Somehow Adam weasled his way into my house. He started off with the first massage is free

Lol.

It's Texas, almost any kind of fetish can be fulfilled.

• Like 1

Since I didn't get drawn for Spring Turkey I will probably have some vacation time left and would love to go too.

• Like 1

PRDATR, briant_az are in! Right on! What say you mattys281...is that an affirmative? If I missed anyone else who is interested, let me know.

PRDATR, briant_az are in! Right on! What say you mattys281...is that an affirmative? If I missed anyone else who is interested, let me know.

I would love to go, but my son is due to be born 4/21 so I'm home bound this spring. Have to save my vacation time for when the little man arrives. I'm sure you guys will have a great time, I've heard these hunts are a blast and it's still on my bucket list.

• Like 1

Been to south Texas to hunt hogs a few times. Can be uncomfortably warm by late April. Biggest rattlesnakes I've EVER seen, lots of them too. Wherever you guys end up make sure to inquire about fishing opportunity. One of the ranches we hunted had fabulous bass fishing, way better than the hog hunting and worth the drive all by itself. Average fish was 3 pounds and an occasional 7 pounder. Ranch manager appreciated that we practiced catch & release.