BACKCOUNTRY

Trouble and Danger in UNIT 34A

Disturbing and Saddening news from unit 34A.

I hunt this area alone all the time.

Tucson man killed on hunting trip in Santa Ritas

ARIZONA DAILY STAR

A Tucson man was killed and his body found at his camp site in the Santa Rita Mountains Sunday, police said.

The man told family members he was going hunting and camping on Thursday. They became concerned when they hadn?t heard from him by Sunday and went looking for him at his usual camp site.

They found his body at his camp site off Forest Service Road 485 and originally reported to sheriff's deputies that the man had been mauled by a bear.

Sheriff investigators classified the death as a homicide. The body was brought down the mountain last night.

?Somebody came upon him between Thursday and Sunday and murdered him,? said Sgt. James Ogden, a spokesperson for the Pima County Sheriff?s Department.

Authorities are not releasing the name of the victim until this afternoon, and an autopsy will be conducted to determine the cause of death. The investigation continued this morning.

Read more about it in tomorrow?s Arizona Daily Star.

That is horrible, I cannot belive that happend. I don't know what to say. God bless his family. Really makes you think. I hope the SOB is caught that did it.

Redman

Yep that is not a good thing at all But in that area you had better be on your gaurd as much as you can be. Even though it is archery season and against the law to pack a hand gun while archery hunting. It may be high time to pack that snub nose 38 in the fanny pack. I would rather be guilty and have a fighting chance than dead.

I know a gun like that would not do much against the drug runners but it would be nice to have for a little peice of mind While out in the field. If some one comes up against me back at my camp they will have a few guns to be afraid of.

I know at night it is hard to be aware of what is going on around us while sleeping. The safest thing you can do is not be out there by your self ever. Lets be careful out there and keep an eye out to help each other. Report those illeagles and drug runners when you see them. you just might save a life down the road.

Friends of mine hunt the Oct hunt down there almost every year and I think 2 years ago they headed out in the dark and came back in the dark and when they returned found they're camp was raided my Mojado's. they took everything they could carry. And it was some serious weight added up. Must of beeen a good group. Sad thing is they most likely leave all the wrappers and trash as they go.

But atleast no one was hurt.

That is a terrible what happened to this guy,... personally I'd rather have been mauled by a bear any day then to die from some jack butt just plain murdering me.

If it was illegals that killed the man, I think it's about time to put a fence up along the border. Either that or open a year round hunting season for those suckers.

First off fellas don't go and start pointing any fingers.No-one knows who did this.Today at the 6:00 news they said someone went out there and murdered him.They said someone knew where he was and how long he was gonna be out there.I met this guy once through a freind and man he loved to hunt.Now illegals every time I see these people they run.I personally have ran into a group of about 40 and they wanted nothing to do with me thy ran like a bunch of rabbits.If it was them don't you think they would have taken his car to help them get into town.Think before we accuse.Thanks and God Bless!

Edited by workhorse

good advice workhorse. tell us about the guy. who was he? if he was hunter he was one of us. dang, a guy should be able to feel safe from other folks when he's in the woods. is there someplace a guy can maybe donate a little to his family? this is really sad. Lark.

workhorse

I think it is the drug runners and the people runners you have to be woried about. that is what I thiink.

Who knows who is responsible for this incodent but I definately agree with ARIZONA GUIDE about the people and drug runners even some immigrants that may be desperate. I spend alot of time along our southern border and personally I will not venture out with out carrying a side-arm, regardless of what the law says. I have been checked by US FISH & WILDLIFE on Buenos Aires with a pistol and they said nothing about it, even while archery hunting by AZFG. They know as well as the rest of us what is going on along our borders. It is not the same as it was 20 years ago when all the immigrants wanted is to come across and work on some farm, there is a whole different breed coming across now a days that are ruthless and won't think twice about whack'n someone for a vehicle or a peanut butter sandwhich. Not to say that they are all bad but they are all breaking our laws and littering our land.

my .02

That really is upsetting. I hope there is some way to tell through an autopsy if the man was killed by the bear or other means. If the proof is there that he was killed by someone then mauled by the bear, I would have to believe initially it was illegals. The bleeding hearts will find some way to blame him. He should not have been there, he resisted someone in need, He threatened them, or some other such mullarky.

Re-read all the posts above and then think about truly how unbelievable it is that we are all chatting about not being safe from invading masses of illegal aliens and criminals, while legally hunting, hiking or camping in our own country.

I certainly think that it is high time that the US Government live up to their Constitutional responsibility of protecting the legal citizens within our borders.

I am afraid It will not be long before the citizens take up arms and take the responsibility for protection of the upon themselves.

The fault is with the US Government border policy, not the border patrol agents.

This a sad sad time.

My prayers go out to the family

Regardless if the ugly crime was commited by drug runners, illegals, or what ever. This messes with our safey zone, home away from home, our escape.

This season I had decided that I was not going to carry my 45 because of the extre weight but now while out in the field, she is not comming off ......... ever. And I thought I was being paranoid by glassing the truck before geting back to it and walking around it to make sure it was clear. I had always done that because your truck = no more walking to some one who has walked alot.

Let us pray and be safe out there. And TRY to have a good time still.

:o

Wow what terrible news. All we can do is pray for the family, and hope they get the bastards that did this.

Last year my Dad and Cousin were drawn for the Oct hunt in 34A. I had the Nov. tag. For their hunt I went down alone to get a camping spot on Fri. Finally found one at the end of Gardiner Canyon road. I set up my tent, had a couple beers, and went to bed. About ten minutes after getting in the tent, a ford bronco and a monte carlo full of people proceeded to park not 75 yards away from my tent. Some of them were speaking english but most were not. Loud mexican music insued for the duration, they chopped down a tree and were peeling out in the dirt. Just acting like a bunch of a**holes. I have a large dullel bag that I keep my stuff in. I filled it up walked over to my truck and put it in the back. I then asked these guys if they knew what kind of f-ing idiots they were being, or if they were just that stupid. I was wearing a 357 and apparently one of the guys noticed it on my side. He then pulled a semi-auto from his pocket or wherever and said something like" Oh you gonna get all hard redneck, you and your pistol" he started walking towards me with a couple of his buddies in tow. I got the heck out of there fast, left my tent, and told my dad the story and that I was going to ride down with he and my cousin the next day. After a morning hunt, we went to try and get my tent. The mexicans were gone but had destroyed my tent.

Wow, that's unbelievable. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Manamal, that's a pretty scary story of yours, sounds like you were pretty lucky.

I have to agree with AZ4Life, I think it's high time the feds step up and start enforcing our borders. Sounds like a huge wake up call for us all. Be safe out there

and good huntin.