• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 Speedy

Speedy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Traditional bowhunting, geology, motorcycles
Here's the video of the miss that I'll be crying over for a long time.  It's from a GoPro mounted on my recurve bow so you can't see the arrow in flight due vibration but at the end you can see where I found it!  He didn't stop on his own as I thought so it appears he heard or saw me draw which is a sure indication he was going to jump but I was too busy picking a spot to notice.   You can tell by how fast he took off that he was moving well before my 180 fps arrow got there.  After this I saw him again 2 days later taking a wide berth around the same blind.  That ended up being the last deer I saw on this trip!  In total I might have seen a dozen deer the entire 7 days but I never got bored.  Back home I would have given up after 3 days!  Never went after javi either as coues was the priority.   

Darn these Coues deer are so frustrating, but at the same time fascinating enough to sit for days just to see one.  I had fun just being there and despite the lack of deer I'm still determined as ever to get one of these little buggers with my recurve.  I want to thank everyone for all the help and encouragement especially oneshot who's the only other person I know crazy enough to chase these hypersensitive deer with a traditional bow.  

#32 high rise hunter

high rise hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Ultralight Adventure Archery Hunting

Very cool video, Speedy! You know that deer is CLOSE when it looks close on a GoPro cam! 

It definitely fuels the fire to get back down there next season for a shot at redemption.

#33 Speedy

Speedy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Traditional bowhunting, geology, motorcycles

I setup the GoPro 5 with narrow field of view which looks more realistic.  The actual shot distance was around 20 yards.  Close, but not close enough?

#34 PRDATR

PRDATR

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,296 posts

I used to shoot an old Martin Tiger round wheel bow at 210 fps and was busted more than one well inside of 20 yards from sounds off the bow.

All over Az in the big red truck

#35 high rise hunter

high rise hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Ultralight Adventure Archery Hunting

20 yards, you can't ask for much closer. I feel like the question then becomes, do you aim below the deer in anticipation of the buck jumping the string? That would be tough to do knowing if that deer just stands there the shot is a low, clean miss. 

#36 broadhead

broadhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

I have to admit that I laughed out loud while reading the report from the 2017 hunt. And only because I know a bunch of people out there were wondering why a football game is important enough to leave a deer stand on an away trip during the rut. It takes a Packer fan to understand...

Packers - Cowboys, divisional round GB 34-31, Aaron Rodgers and "the throw" the Jared Cook. I would've been out of the blind watching that game too hahaha.

Speedy, I just moved minutes away from north side of 34a and hunted 33 last season. It took awhile but I found a few bucks once they started getting on the does during the rut. If you come down this way you're more than welcome to come out with me and try to fill your tag. There is no shortage of deer around. I doubt I'm going to have much chance to hunt the early archery season this year due to work and school but I still plan to get out and scout as much as I can so when December and the cool weather/rut rolls around I'll have a line on a few bucks. Send me a PM if you're ever interested.

PS where in Wisconsin are you from? I'm from south of Green Bay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users