Red Rabbit

Helinox Chair for Glassing?

I have wondered the same thing. REI has their version on sale now for $58 I think.

Maybe a group of us should go together to REI to check it out, with tripods and binos...in full camo. The reactions would be interesting.

...I haven't been to the new location yet either.

Doug, I have the Zero Helinox chair and absolutely love it. However I love it more for just a comfortable place to sit after a long backpack hike than for glassing. I have used it glassing as pictured below but as was mentioned above, the chair does have leaned back rake to it and I'm not used to that. The chair is extremely strong and lightweight, and sets up in seconds. Heck on a windy day you could probably tie a string on it and fly it like a kite! For me the real value is for backpacking and having something to sit in and lean back after a 5 or 10 mile hike. To me it's the greatest thing since sliced bread for that purpose and worth it's weight in gold.

Scott

post-13-0-75254000-1498658159_thumb.jpg

Scott, I suppose it is still more comfortable glassing than a foam pad, even if you cannot lean back in the chair while eyes are in the binos.

Have you tried a black eyepatch for use with the spotter?

Doug, I have one and absolutely love it. I'll never glass without one ever again if I can help it. Zero issues with positioning or posture, I set my tripod up so that the center is over my lap and don't have to lean forward as in Scott's photo, and I can glass in total comfort, even in uneven terrain. Anyone I've let try it, doesn't want to give it back; I've given 3 out as gifts. Some may balk at the price, but its built incredibly well, super light weight, and as Scott said, I use it for far more than a glassing chair - its a camp chair, kids soccer game chair, etc. I took it on a backpack trip, and it was worth 10x its weight to lug in. Camofire has had them on occasion, I would call them and see if they have any lying around and save like $30. Honestly can't recommend enough.

• Like 1

I do have an eye patch but didn't bring it with me on that pack trip. Just for the record, I'm not a big fan of spotting scopes and generally only use them to get a closer look at something I've already spotted with the binoculars.

Scott

Doug, I have one and absolutely love it. I'll never glass without one ever again if I can help it. Zero issues with positioning or posture, I set my tripod up so that the center is over my lap and don't have to lean forward as in Scott's photo, and I can glass in total comfort, even in uneven terrain. Anyone I've let try it, doesn't want to give it back; I've given 3 out as gifts. Some may balk at the price, but its built incredibly well, super light weight, and as Scott said, I use it for far more than a glassing chair - its a camp chair, kids soccer game chair, etc. I took it on a backpack trip, and it was worth 10x its weight to lug in. Camofire has had them on occasion, I would call them and see if they have any lying around and save like $30. Honestly can't recommend enough.

My birthday is next month...... Just saying.......

• Like 1

Doug, I have the Zero Helinox chair and absolutely love it. However I love it more for just a comfortable place to sit after a long backpack hike than for glassing. I have used it glassing as pictured below but as was mentioned above, the chair does have leaned back rake to it and I'm not used to that. The chair is extremely strong and lightweight, and sets up in seconds. Heck on a windy day you could probably tie a string on it and fly it like a kite! For me the real value is for backpacking and having something to sit in and lean back after a 5 or 10 mile hike. To me it's the greatest thing since sliced bread for that purpose and worth it's weight in gold.

Scott

Yeah maybe I need a different tri pod because after a while leaning forward gets old. Standing feels great or sitting all the way back in the chair