MULEPACKHUNTER

Elk arrow locked in

One of the most important things is your arrow hits the target square. So if your arrows hit the target at an angle you are losing a large percentage of the kinetic energy built into your arrow. It doesn't matter if your arrow is 600 grns or 400 if it's not hitting straight it's not using that weight.

I agree. My arrows seem to hit square. I had the string/cable replaced and setup by Timber Mesa, here in Mesa. I checked the "paper tune" and looks good. I have shot Thunderheads and G5's so far and both POI same as field points, at 30 yds. I will experiment with 125's. Not sure if an extra 25 gr. will make a difference?

Thanks for the knowledgeable replies!

Just trying to finish my set up for elk. I'm kind of old school when it comes to broad heads fixed or nothing. The guys at the archery shop are saying to go with a mechanical or hybrid as the flight is nearly identical to a field point, and less tuning involved. I have waited 16 years for an early archery tag and want to eliminate any chance of a mechanical failure. Either way I know it all comes down to shot placement. I have a very short draw length and pulling only 62lbs with a 400gr arrow. Any thoughts or suggestions?

• Like 1

Just trying to finish my set up for elk. I'm kind of old school when it comes to broad heads fixed or nothing. The guys at the archery shop are saying to go with a mechanical or hybrid as the flight is nearly identical to a field point, and less tuning involved. I have waited 16 years for an early archery tag and want to eliminate any chance of a mechanical failure. Either way I know it all comes down to shot placement. I have a very short draw length and pulling only 62lbs with a 400gr arrow. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Just don't over think it. Put a good sharp broad head in his lungs and don't take any iffy shots and you will be fine.

• Like 1

Sounds like my set up but I use Axis with Slick Tricks. With my 30" draw length at 68# I am getting 285fps out of mine. With broad heads I don't shoot groups anymore for the fletching/ nock reason. I shoot a 5 dot target and make the best shot I can and then compare the 5 targets to see how they would group. If at 40 yards they all are hitting in the same spot I now the bow s tuned. It also tells me my effective range.