Saguaro

Where you born in Arizona?

11 hours ago, krp said:

Circle K and Utotem carried 22 and shotgun shells, a bit more expensive but in a pinch... and they didn't care how old you were.

Kent

Those were the good ole days.

14 hours ago, krp said:

Yellow Front was where dad bought almost everything for us. I remember him buying his deer tag there before there was a draw.

Smitty's opened up on Greenfield, I bought my 870 wingmaster there with my summer ranching money, a case of blue peters shells and later all the reloading stuff for the hulls there also. We always reloaded paper hulls with the old alcan wads and those plastic hulls and wads were slick.

Kent

Kent,

Do you remember a guy who ran a bait/tackle shop out of his house on McKellips? He also sold a few guns, I think his name was Al. Maybe around Lindsey or Val Vista?

• Like 1

i worked at Al's bait & feed the summer of 1977 because i refused to work for mike who had bought Jim's bait and tackle from Lee Nice that spring.  i had been working at Jim's since 1972.  Al fired me when i started my senior year at mesa high.  anybody remember the 'mesa bass busters'?

dad's 1953 model 70 30/06 had never been scoped until i bought a $20 4x at the smittys on greenfield in 1975.

lee

I believe it was around Lindsey, we would go in and buy nightcrawlers to fish Camelot golf course ponds, where the rumor was Mesa bass busters had snuck in bass. We caught some nice ones way back then.

In '78 my brother bought a bass boat and somewhere around there we were talked into joining mesa bass busters, we fished one tournament at Alamo and thought what a bunch of duffasses.  

Kent

My brother in I think 76 ran the restaurant at Saguaro lake, he did that for a couple years until his wife and the owners wife got into it. But man did we do some fishing and skiing back then.

Kent 

i went a mbb tournament at apache  and the big smallies that won it looked like they had been thawed out.

boy did i ever catch some nice bass walking in to the cove behind the marina.  killed my first mule deer buck above the marina on that highest peak between bush hiway and saguaro lake guest ranch and my second mulie on the other side of the river in 24b.

lee

I also used to hike back to that cove. Once spied a small crawdad and put it on my hook, threw it out and caught a big bass. Discovered the best bait ever.

Kent