Saguaro

Where you born in Arizona?

What happened to the topic "Where you Born in Arizona" that had a survey and discussions about being born or not in Arizona?

Some people like to jump on and start feuds sadly.  Yeah I had some notification of quotes  but couldn't get on because it was shut down 

It was a good thread until the resident troll jumped in. Too bad. 

• Like 1

Sad that possible mental illness and or chemical imbalance/dependence can interfere with people sharing history and getting to know each other. I thought it was a good post. 

• Like 4

And then the grammar police chime in and correct the op because it is were you born not where.... Unless you meant to ask where were you born in Az?  I am not the grammar police, but this what they would do.

Desert rat since 72, but born in the communist state of California.

• Thanks 1

Was a good thread... Nice to have learned more about some of my fellow Zonies.

• Like 1

To bad I missed it, my family on both sides have been in az since the 1800s. Prescott on one side and Safford the other, some cool family history in old newspaper articles.

Born in Tempe, family had 40 acres on Scottsdale road north of the river. Moved to Mesa out in the sticks when I was 7, University was a dirt road past Val Vista. Get off the bus and grab the shotgun, shoot doves in the groves or maze fields, gig frogs in the canals.

Those were the days.

Kent

• Like 1

Moved here in 76 when I was 24 and I can remember University being gravel past Greenfield and Fiesta Mall was a dirt lot where we would hunt rabbits.and we would camp out at the campground on the lower salt.

37 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Moved here in 76 when I was 24 and I can remember University being gravel past Greenfield and Fiesta Mall was a dirt lot where we would hunt rabbits.and we would camp out at the campground on the lower salt.

wait a minute here...it was brown that was still gravel in '76 and we were hunting rabbits at superstition springs and all along baseline out to ironwood and we went rattlesnake den hunting at the north end of meridian.....must have spent 500 nights on the river at blue point between '72-'78.  when people want to know where i am from i tell them to watch 'electra glide in blue' and 'used cars'.

lee

2 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

wait a minute here...it was brown that was still gravel in '76 and we were hunting rabbits at superstition springs and all along baseline out to ironwood and we went rattlesnake den hunting at the north end of meridian.....must have spent 500 nights on the river at blue point between '72-'78

lee

Those were some wild times for sure. I think the Sheriff Dept got tired of all the killings down there and closed the Lower Salt down about the time of the flood and blowing up Coons Bluff.  You have a better memory than I.

I was 16 when the flood of '72 hit. Below the diversion dam the flood left some huge pools for a couple miles. They lasted through my high school years and we would bass, trout, cats and carp at first and then just cats and carp. We would go in off the Beeline through the rez about across from the Alamo, rabbit and quail hunt also. We were out there almost every afternoon.

When the last pool was getting shallow we went out and there were some families from the rez pitchforking the last of the carp, water was a few feet deep. We joined in and finally figured out if we got in a line and laid on top of the water moving forward by our hands pulling the bottom, when a carp swam under you just lay down on it and grab the mouth. There were about 20 guys and the women dug sand pits for the fish. We hauled out at least 100 and everyone was laughing and having a celebration of bounty. Some of those carp were at least 20 pounds and the women were squealing with delight as we filled the pits and they were cleaning them.

Now kids play video games and are depressed.

Kent

• Like 1