recurveman

judging hold over on a coues

Corner of eye to nose tip is about 6", and the ear spread tip to tip about 14" These are averages from 3 of my mounts.

Another thing to do is to see the distance covered on a measured target or yardstick at 100 yards by the thickness of the crosshairs, distance between thick parts on a duplex type reticle, and distance between crosshair and thicker post end. Of course, these may change with different magnifications, depending upon what focal plane your scope uses.

Doug/RR

you're all too technical.  my range finder is the dust that blows up when i miss the first shot.  i look for that and adjust accordingly.  sometimes i screw up and hit em the first shot and there ain't no dust.  it really confuses me too.  Lark.

Now THAT was funnay!! :lol:

In addition to the measurements that Red Rabbit gave, Ear length is generally about 6 inches.

But beware of variances. I have heard several experienced Coues deer hunters and guides talk about deer that have smaller bodies and heads than average and it makes their antlers look huge in relation. So they end up shooting a buck they think will score well, but ends up being say 85 inches or something. So the same thing can be true when using generalized body measurements for estimating hold over.

hey, on a lighter note, does anyone here but me think that Chef looks like he's smoking a joint in his avatar? I always thought so until I looked closer and noticed he is kissing a fish. What do you guys think?

Amanda

Don't bogart that bass!

And just how do YOU know what smoking a joint looks like? Hmmm?

I'm a taxidermist and everything you are hearing is correct. Especially the part about animals with different measurements. I caped a buck with a 13 inch (circumference) neck that scored 118. Then I caped a buck with a 16 inch neck that would score about 78. I would use 14-15 inches as a good measurement for the height of the body. Also the first few bucks you glass, note the length of the neck from the body compared to the chest height. That way you will have a better idea if he's bedded. Also, I would use your rangefinder EVERY time you have time to use it and get ready for a shot. If you shoot over 400 yards, guessing wrong by only 50 yards, can mean the difference between your trophy or the buck of a lifetime being devoured by coyotes. Good luck and let us know how you do!!

recurveman- For years I carried a cloth tape and measured the top-to-brisket heights of quite a few deer. For AZ whitetails, the smallest was 12" (a spike) and the highest was 16. The 16 was a big one with a 17 1/4" spread, and I'd say most decent three-pointers are 14 or 15.

I use this to estimate range by determining at which power the duplex part of the scope just brackets 15", or whatever. Might as well be optimistic!

Another thing I do is to determine how much elevation the point of the bottom post gives you. Most scopes are fairly close and on 9 power will give you 12 to 16". For instance, the Bush 3200 3X9 on my .270 gives me 12" at 400 yards, and the bullet drops just over 13 ( 2 1/2" hi @ 100 yds) at 400 yds. So if I hold on the top of the heavy bottom segment of the aperature instead of the crosshairs at 400 yards, the bullet will be an inch or two low. I determine all this with a yellow or white yardstick at a measured 25 yards (times 4, of course, to get the figure at 100 years, then go from there.) Looking at a ballistic program can get it close, but you need to actually go out and do it, especially if you don't have a chrono. Factory figures are usually pretty optimistic, both in bullet drop and velocity.

jmbn - the start of my post is sighted in for 330 yards. I actually shot the post at 300 but was an couple of inches high. So I got out a ballistics program and figured it to be real close to 330-335. I'm pretty sure that is more accurate than I'm able to shoot. I sighted the gun in for 200. The gap of the post is actually 12 inches at 300. So if I don't have time for a range finder (I shouldn't shoot) then I can use that to find out if it is 300 or further.

I think if I see a doe or two I might put the scope on them to see what they look like. I'm sure that they are smaller but I might learn a little in the process. This stuff is pretty new to me but I'm having a ball.

Thanks for the info guys and gals.

Later,

recurveman

if i had to think that much before i got a shot off, i'd get a headache. too cerebral. hunt em til ya jump em, shoot em on the fly. what folks need to do is learn how to guess ranges somewhat, out to about 400 yds. the size o' the deer is how much you can be off and still hit em. most every hipower is flat shooting enough that you can pretty much shoot right at anything out to 300yds or a little more, if you sight it in 3" high or so at a 100 yds. you can shoot out to 400 without a lot of elevation or real critical guesswork. if you can't get within 400 yds, then figure something different or take a hope-i shot. if you think makin' a 600 yd shot is exciting. try and get within 50 or so. see how much your hearbeats then. my oldest son snuck in to like 15 yds on his coues this year. and had a buncha fun doin' it. Lark.

Lark,

I'll go reload a bunch more ammo so I can do plenty of jump shooting. That sounds like more fun. I just hope it doesn't rain so I can see the dust fly on the first box of shells I shoot. I'll get more particular on the second and third box of shells.(Is that considered littering?)

What happens if I actually hit one? Then what? the fun is over and the work begins.

Later,

recurveman