huntlines

Hunt proposal, more limited archery units

I like the idea of putting NR's on an archery draw. Several big hunting websites like GoHunt have been pushing OTC opportunities in Arizona for quite a while and it's showing. I see as many out of state plates in the desert as I do Arizona plates. We do guide a lot of NR's on the OTC hunts but the demand is so high, switching to a draw wouldn't hurt us at all and what's most important is what's best for the animals. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Desertguide said:

That's what I've been told about harvest statistics and why there's no need for mandatory reporting. Even if it doesn't provide the dept with any real new information, I think it would be good to keep hunters accountable. 

The big game program supervisor, Amber Munig, provided some numbers last night during the presentation:

general deer draw permit tag hunts average 50% hunter survey response 

OTC deer tag hunts average 20% hunter survey response

She Stated that a 50% response rate was acceptable statistically to rely upon for accurate harvest data.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, 68OLDS said:

The big game program supervisor, Amber Munig, provided some numbers last night during the presentation:

general deer draw permit tag hunts average 50% hunter survey response 

OTC deer tag hunts average 20% hunter survey response

She Stated that a 50% response rate was acceptable statistically to rely upon for accurate harvest data.  

I didn't get to watch the webcast because I was watching my 1 year old rugrat. From everything you've said it sounds like they came VERY prepared with lots of info. I'm bummed I missed it. Thanks for passing on the info!!!

5 minutes ago, Desertguide said:

I like the idea of putting NR's on an archery draw. Several big hunting websites like GoHunt have been pushing OTC opportunities in Arizona for quite a while and it's showing. I see as many out of state plates in the desert as I do Arizona plates. We do guide a lot of NR's on the OTC hunts but the demand is so high, switching to a draw wouldn't hurt us at all and what's most important is what's best for the animals. 

I’ll go one step further.  Being a guide you probably won’t agree with me, but I would like to see the NR OTC opportunity eliminated altogether.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Desertguide said:

I didn't get to watch the webcast because I was watching my 1 year old rugrat. From everything you've said it sounds like they came VERY prepared with lots of info. I'm bummed I missed it.

It was a fairly well prepared, mostly they just presented the current hunt guidelines and how they plan to meet those as flatlander has mentioned here.

They did say they would post it after it was presented so you can still watch it online.  I posted the link a few threads back.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 68OLDS said:

I’ll go one step further.  Being a guide you probably won’t agree with me, but I would like to see the NR OTC opportunity eliminated altogether.

Well I'm a hunter first and whether I guide or not, I want what's best for the critters. That said, putting archery hunts on a draw for non-residents is eliminating OTC opportunity. Now, if you're saying that they should be eliminating from archery hunts altogether... I don't think their success rate is high enough to warrant that

2 minutes ago, Desertguide said:

Well I'm a hunter first and whether I guide or not, I want what's best for the critters. That said, putting archery hunts on a draw for non-residents is eliminating OTC opportunity. Now, if you're saying that they should be eliminating from archery hunts altogether... I don't think their success rate is high enough to warrant that

I would like to see the NR OTC archery hunt eliminated 100% instead of going to a draw system for 2a/2b/2c/27.  I would also suggest a reduction in the season length for unit 27, no august hunt and going from all month in January to 15 days.  That is what I will be proposing in my email to the DEPT.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 68OLDS said:

I would like to see the NR OTC archery hunt eliminated 100% instead of going to a draw system for 2a/2b/2c/27.  I would also suggest a reduction in the season length for unit 27, no august hunt and going from all month in January to 15 days.  That is what I will be proposing in my email to the DEPT.

Oh I see what you're saying. I don't know what my email will say yet but I'll be sending one for sure. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Desertguide said:

You sure rill your eyes a lot... 😂😂😂. You remind me of my 15 year old daughter. 

Your daughter must also be cool. 🙄🙄🙄

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

Why isnt mandatory harvesting even a thing here? Why are some people against it to begin with? I'd love to see it be a new rule

There was mandatory reporting for archery hunter for a few years and then they took it away. Has anyone ever heard why they stopped?