bradleylarson48

Bow fishing in Srp canals?

So I know you can shoot carp and cats with a bow. I was wondering if anyone knows if it’s legal to bowfish in the srp canals. I know you can’t shoot grass carp but common carp are fair game. I wasn’t sure if there were laws regulating bow fishing those canals. They go by houses too so I wasn’t sure if I had to follow the 1/4 mile that hunters do with bows. Any info would help thanks. 

I called Azgfd about that In 1998 and they said it was ok. But could probably call 5 times and get 5 different answers. Depending on the legality I may or may not have taken some shots a couple weeks ago. Common carp only 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Signs on all canals by my house say "no trespassing, no fishing, no hunting, no swimming."

3 hours ago, JSR said:

Signs on all canals by my house say "no trespassing, no fishing, no hunting, no swimming."

Srp canals are legal to fish for sure. Those are probably Roosevelt water. I just don’t know if bow fishing is legal

5 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I called Azgfd about that In 1998 and they said it was ok. But could probably call 5 times and get 5 different answers. Depending on the legality I may or may not have taken some shots a couple weeks ago. Common carp only 

Yeah fs I might call and find out

Honestly, if it's legally fishable and the target fish is legal the only law I would worry about is the quarter mile rule. Either way it's the same state agency (game and fish).

18 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Honestly, if it's legally fishable and the target fish is legal the only law I would worry about is the quarter mile rule. Either way it's the same state agency (game and fish).

Isn’t there city ordinances though regarding shooting bows and distance from houses? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Isn’t there city ordinances though regarding shooting bows and distance from houses? 

Oops yeah I didn't even think about that.  And if you ask them you know for sure what they will say. I sight my bow in on my side yard. Pretty sure I'm not supposed too, when I here a car or someone walking I scurry like a rat.

• Like 1

It has been a decade or more but I did it off the canal system in the Sunnyslope area...at the time I called AZGFD and was told it was no worries.