Sign in to follow this  
BIGBUGPETE

Which rifle is best for coues and psossibly elk?

Ok guys im looking to buy a new rifle that i can take long shots at coues with. Possibly 400+ yards. Either a .270 or 7mm. Im also looking for one that will be able to take down elk from maybe 200 yards. Basically i want an all around rifle that is very flat shooting and very accurate. Which rifle would be better? I really want a long shooting deer rifle. Help me guys!

How about the 30-06 for both uses? Use 150s or 165s for coues, and 180's for elk. It'll be effective for the ranges you noted. There is a wide variety of factory ammo with regular and premium bullets to choose from, and recoil is not bad for lots of practice.

Since you emphasized that you really want a flat shooting deer rifle (and hinting possibly beyond 400 yards (after lotsa practice)), the 270 WSM would shine and be less expensive to feed than the 257WBY and it has a wider assortment of factory ammo to cover deer and elk.

You can go to federalammo.com and compare ballistics.

well if you are looking for a flat shooter you can throw the 30-06 out.

I was originally going to say to look at the 270 wsm but I do not know what the largest grain bullet that is offered for this caliber is (165?) However, I do know people that have successfully used bonded 165 grain 7mm mag rounds for elk.

so then I would lean toward the 300 wsm. 180 - 200 grain bullets are good for elk and someone (federal?) just came out (last year) with a 130 grain bullet.

I'd stay away from the .270 for elk. Not saying it won't do the job, just a little light for me. For what you are looking for I'd say a 300 Win fits the bill nicely for an all around, flat shooting, accurate, time tested round with plenty of bullet choices available. A 300 RUM would be a good choice as well, and is what i use for both elk and deer. Good luck.

i have a .270wsm and have taken 2 elk with it, both were 1 shot kills... i think it is a great all around arizona gun!! i dont think you find a flatter shooting more versitile rifle... jmo

All this fancy smancy short mag and ultra mags. I guess everyone likes paying $2.00 to $3.00 a shot. A good ole 7mm remington mag would meet all your requirements. A 270 would be fine also with even cheaper bullets. Some say a 270 is too light for an elk, but it has killed more elk then all these new fangled short and ultra's combined. 30 06 is a great round also,but like RR said is not as flat shooting as others.

Bob

i have a .270wsm and have taken 2 elk with it, both were 1 shot kills... i think it is a great all around arizona gun!! i dont think you find a flatter shooting more versitile rifle... jmo

Dude :unsure:

I could not find the chart on the web real quick I was looking for on ballistics and do not want to type everything out but here is the trajectory only out of my old Gun Digest

Using a 140gr bullet

270 Winchester:

100yds +2.5", 200yds +1.8", 300yds -4.6", 400yds -17.9"

7MM Rem Mag:

100yds +2.5", 200yds +2.4", 300yds -2.4", 400yds -12.7"

Pretty easy to see which shoots flatter

Sorry :(

Congrats on your 2 Elk with your 270

This is what i could find...

270wsm

140 Gr. Barnes X 100yds +1.21 / 2986 / 2772 200yds+0.00 / 2790 / 2419 300yds -5.67 / 2601 / 2103 400yds -16.51 / 2420 / 1821

7mm mag

140 Gr. Barnes X 100yds +1.20 / 2987 / 2774 200yds +0.00 / 2783 / 2407 300yds -5.69 / 2587 / 2079 400yds-16.61 / 2399 / 1789

i was not arguing the point of the .270 i was arguing for the .270 wsm... theres a difference

I don't shoot a .270, but there was some O'Connor guy, who killed a heck of alot of animals with one. ;)

17" drop at 400 yds ain't too shabby. I shoot a 30-06. wanna see the drop on that at 400?

I appreciate all the help guys! Im starting to lean towards the 7MM. I would get on 06 but my dad already has one i can use anytime and im really looking for that flat shooter. How much more does a 7mm kick than a .270 because my girlferiend will be using this gun for her hunt as well.

How much more does a 7mm kick than a .270 because my girlferiend will be using this gun for her hunt as well.

get a .270, a muzzle break for the 7mm, or a bigger girlfriend :lol: . It kicks a bit more, but if she's used to shooting she can handle it.